Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Covid vaccination requirements

jksobonya
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Never mind that we all flew for over a year WITHOUT vaccine and did fine.   

Precisely. I flew multiple times last year and this year because I wanted to prove that flying was safe. It is. I'm glad I did it. I wasn't vaccinated until June 2021, never got COVID before then, still don't have COVID now. Am I just lucky? Is my immune system that much better? Is my health (which is great overall) a factor? Sure it is. The vaccine is helpful for those who are actually at risk and who need the protection. The vaccine should not be mandated across the board because everyone's health situation is different, and besides that, many have already had COVID and have natural immunity - but people aren't ready to talk about that, they just want you to "get the jab". 

Because of this, the fact that many are now thinking unvaccinated = sick/deadly is very telling. This way of thinking not only incorrect, it's actual misinformation. I am not sick because I have not taking a certain vaccine. When did we get to the point where unvaccinated = you are sick? It's mindboggling what people believe - and what people are afraid of - when they have no reason to be. 

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

Um, listening to the CDC is doing "what you hear from other people", not following the science. 

If you haven't grasped the politicization of this whole issue yet,  or at least realized that the science is at best unclear, conflicting, and often wrong...I don't know what to tell you. 

It doesn't mean I don't agree that the vaccines are the best choice for most people,  but posting links on a message board (especially from the CDC) does little to support your case.  

Not to mention this whole thing is a waste of time because we all have no control over what rules SWA is forced to comply with. 

tallmom
Explorer C

I, too, am very upset with Southwest Airlines.  It's been my go-to airlines (and credit card) for two decades....and now I'm looking at flying United or Jetblue because of the resistance of SW to mandate vaccines for their in-flight staff.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I flew United last week. One good thing that I will say about them is that they take the mask mandate MUCH more seriously. Flight attendants were going up and down the aisle telling people to pull up their mask. It was continual throughout the flight, every few minutes. This is the one area where I wish that Southwest was much more like United.

TlsEnterprise
Explorer C

As an American and a longtime passenger I applaud Southwest Airlines for being independent in their decision making re: "covid" a bacterial infection that is 99.97 curable. NOT

forcing an experimental "vaccine" that kills more than it saves and requiring mask "mandates" that compromise both your immune system and promote upper respiratory infections.

Without Pilots & Stewards we don't have an Airlines!

Require passengers to be "vaccinated"

Well how well did that work for the cruise lines!? 

Stand Strong SOUTHWEST! 💘

HiDawn
Adventurer C

Update: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/southwest-airlines-to-require-employees-to-be-vaccinated-aga...

Southwest Airlines will require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by Dec. 8, the airline says.

By requiring the vaccine, Dallas-based Southwest will join Fort Worth-based American, JetBlue, Alaska and United in complying with Biden administration guidelines.

"Southwest Airlines must join our industry peers in complying with the federal government's COVID-19 vaccination directive," Southwest Airlines Chairman and CEO Gary Kelly said in a written statement. "I encourage all Southwest Employees to meet the federal directive, as quickly as possible, since we value every individual and want to ensure job security for all."

Under the federal rules, federal contractors must be vaccinated against the coronavirus unless they are granted a religious or medical exemption. Major airlines are federal contractors since they fly government employees, cargo and provide other services, according to CNBC.

Passenger
Explorer C

How dare you threaten the this company! You are trying to take rights away from American Citizens that have a right to do what they like with their bodies. It's their choice!  No company or government should be allowed to take those rights away and make it a condition of employment. You are asking Southwest Airlines to become Natzi-esque by forcing its employees to give up their rights. 

Fooyada
Explorer C

I agree with you. I am no longer flying SWA. Alaska Air is great! Also I use United and Delta. So much nicer and safer.  If SWA can't protect its employees and passengers they aren't worth using.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Fooyada wrote:

I agree with you. I am no longer flying SWA. Alaska Air is great! Also I use United and Delta. So much nicer and safer.  If SWA can't protect its employees and passengers they aren't worth using.

You don't seem concerned about unvaccinated passengers who potentially outnumber flight attendants by as much as 50 to 1.

Why is that?

Those same  unvaccinated passengers will be on your Alaska, United and Delta flights.

jillw2k7
Explorer C

It doesn’t matter the airline, how nice, how safe, because Covid is everywhere period