Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Covid vaccination requirements

HiDawn
Adventurer C

Couldn't have said it better. "I mind my own business. People actively risking the life of my child makes it my business."

We are all in this together. Of course, I've been vaccinated but that doesn't mean that I don't care about others.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Delta isn't going to mandate shots for it's employees. Instead it is going to make non vaccinated employees pay $200/month more for health insurance.

Rationale: cvi rives up the cost of employee health coverage.

Any bets on the percentage of Delta employees that will remain unvaccinated?

clearskies
Explorer B

They'll probably be able to do this with regular employees. I have a feeling that, with covered positions, the unions might have something to say about it...unless they are agreeing to this and I missed it somewhere

rnm354
Explorer C

They don't want passengers to keep their cell phones on during flight, but mandating employee INTELLIGENCE AND OBLIGATION TO PROTECT PUBLIC HEALTH SAFETY IS TOO MUCH TO ASK!!!!

THINK OF THE LEVEL OF STUPIDITY THAT SINKS TO!!

HiDawn
Adventurer C

Maybe now that the vaccine had FDA approval, Southwest will rethink their policies requiring employees to be vaccinated. I predict they will lose customers to United, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian Air, Air Canada and Lufthansa if they don't. As much of a loyal customer as I USED TO BE, I will no longer fly Southwest until they implement the needed changes.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@HiDawn wrote:

Maybe now that the vaccine had FDA approval, Southwest will rethink their policies requiring employees to be vaccinated. I predict they will lose customers to United, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian Air, Air Canada and Lufthansa if they don't. As much of a loyal customer as I USED TO BE, I will no longer fly Southwest until they implement the needed changes.

You seem more concerned about 3-4 flight attendants than the other 143-175 potentially unvaccinated passengers.

Please explain that...

Oh, all those potentially unvaccinated passengers will be aboard you flights on United, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian Air, Air Canada and Lufthansa..

It seems to me that your focus is misplaced since your exposure to passengers is about 4300% higher than your exposure to flight attendants.

Sullytoo
Explorer C

And I would fly with them because they are not infringing on my rights (by law) to keep my health records private.

Why is it that no consideration is given to people recovered from covid? Something does not add up that it's the jab as the only accepted answer to covid. Science would accept natural immunity after recovering from covid. Even the CDC talks about the natural immunity being as good if not better than the results from the jab. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Sullytoo wrote:

Even the CDC talks about the natural immunity being as good if not better than the results from the jab. 

False.

From the CDC:

"Evidence is emerging that people get better protection by being fully vaccinated compared with having had COVID-19. One study showed that unvaccinated people who already had COVID-19 are more than 2 times as likely than fully vaccinated people to get COVID-19 again."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

--TheMiddleSeat

HiDawn
Adventurer C

Does a coronavirus infection provide protective immunity?

An infection causes the immune system to respond to and recognize the coronavirus. After getting the virus, most people have detectable antibodies, health experts say. Though other arms of the immune system might become involved, studies so far suggest that the key to fighting the virus correlates with the production of antibodies.

Though protection is decent for those who have previously had COVID-19, health experts say it is not as strong as when people get vaccinated.

“So that’s why there is that recommendation that despite having had COVID before, for full protection the vaccination is the best way to go,” said Dr. Lisa Maragakis, senior director for infection prevention at Johns Hopkins.

A prior infection offers protection in the range of 80%, compared to about 95% for the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, said Dr. John Wherry, director of the Institute for Immunology at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. That means about 15 to 20 out of every 100 people who have previously had COVID-19 could get reinfected, while 5 out of every 100 people who got an mRNA vaccine might get infected.

People with more severe infections appear to have stronger antibody responses than those who had milder or asymptomatic infections, Maragakis said. In addition, she said, the status of a person’s immune system can also dictate the quantity of antibodies and the quality of their antibody response. For example, immunosuppressed people might not mount an antibody response after being infected with COVID-19 or after getting vaccinated.

Lab studies suggest that protection following a case of COVID-19 begins to wane slightly after about three months, but can last for up to 10 months, although there’s a range to that, Wherry said.

“We see some people with mild COVID infections where their immunity wanes more quickly over time, or they don’t have as much coverage, and that is protection from variants. And we see people who have mild COVID that have lower levels of antibodies than you would get from vaccination,” Wherry said. “So there’s a wider range and it’s difficult to know where you are on that range from natural infection.”

Scientists still don’t know as much about the durability of immunity as they would like, he said. What they expect based on coronaviruses that existed prior to SARS-CoV-2 is that antibodies decline over time.

RHiatt
Explorer C

It’s not lawful to require a vaccine for anyone and as a stockholder I am concerned that the unelected President is destroying the country and will sell any stock supporting that fraud. The jab doesn’t work as some imagine.