Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Credit / Rebooking question

taco99
Explorer B

Like everyone else in America, I'm considering canceling an SWA reservation.  So if I were to cancel today...March 15....I'd receive receive a credit good for future travel, which expires in one year. 

My question is, would my future travel have to be merely BOOKED by March 15 next year (and could occur later) or would future travel have to be both booked and completed by March 15, 2021?

I'm quite certain I would have known the answer to this years ago when I flew more often, but my memory has faded.  I greatly appreciate someone confirming the details for me.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Credit / Rebooking question

bec102896
Aviator A

If you cancel your flight your funds would be valid for a year from when your flight was originally booked not a year from when you cancel. 

-Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

None of the above above. Travel funds expire and travel must be completed within one year of when you originally purchased the ticket. For example, if you purchased in January 2020 then you have until January 2021 to complete travel.

If your flight is not in the next day or two don't cancel yet, hold on and see if Southwest happens to cancel your flight because of additional government restrictions or other reasons, that may allow you to obtain a cash refund instead of travel funds.

--TheMiddleSeat

taco99
Explorer B

Thanks, MiddleSeat.   That's good advice.  I just used the same strategy with an Airbnb reservation.  Their policy would not have refunded me fully, so I hung on and hoped for a policy change, which came thru last weekend.