Diverted to final detestation?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

refund? allowed to get off?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Diverted to final detestation?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Typically you are not allowed to get off, but it depends on the location and if staff is available to assist. Vouchers may be issued depending on the reason or timing of the delay. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Typically you are not allowed to get off, but it depends on the location and if staff is available to assist. Vouchers may be issued depending on the reason or timing of the delay. 

--TheMiddleSeat

They will try if at all possible to divert to an airport that has Southwest services so that airline staff can perform the refueling or any maintenance and then most likely fly on to the final destination.

For other airlines I've seen them land somewhere close and then arrange buses, in that case they allowed people to claim their luggage and go their own way without forcing them. Iin the case I'm familiar with it was a diversion from PNS to Mobile - since the final destination was between the two it didn't make sense to bus back to PNS to then head back towards Mobile. Since the diversion was due to fog they wouldn't be flying into PNS anytime soon so the buses made sense. 

If it is diverted for health reasons or storm then they most likely would be able to fly again in a few hours or same day.

Do you have any more specifics for your question @CupCrusher40 ?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

So you mean like if you were going from MCO-AUS with a layover in HOU but the flight diverts to AUS on the way to HOU that would be interesting and I would just ask a FA if your allowed to get off since you are technically at your final destination. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

So you mean like if you were going from MCO-AUS with a layover in HOU but the flight diverts to AUS on the way to HOU that would be interesting and I would just ask a FA if your allowed to get off since you are technically at your final destination. 

Oh I see, good pickup @bec102896 if you only have carry-on I think the answer should be yes.

I guess if you have checked luggage maybe...even if the luggage has to make the full trip you could wait for it airside or landside.

One time we had bad weather and gates were jammed at MDW, after circling for a while we diverted to MKE. That's not quite the same thing though since there is no regular service by air from MDW to MKE so although some people might have been going to MKE by car or train from Chicago, they won't have been flying there through that airport.

I think you should ask if you are only carrying on.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

The rare times I have been diverted, we never even went to a gate. I would be shocked if they pulled up to a gate just to drop people with carry-on luggage off, but who knows?! Doesn’t hurt to ask I guess.

I can see how that would be wildly frustrating if you are indeed going to end up where you were diverted to. Thirty-plus years ago, on a completely different airline, I was on a London to Miami flight that had to divert to Orlando due to weather. Half the plane were English tourists going to Disney and they were very upset that they couldn’t just get off there, the kicker being that with the diversion they were almost certainly going to miss their connecting flight back up to the very airport whose tarmac we were sitting on.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

mnaually pass checked lugagge?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

The rare times I have been diverted, we never even went to a gate. I would be shocked if they pulled up to a gate just to drop people with carry-on luggage off, but who knows?! Doesn’t hurt to ask I guess.

I can see how that would be wildly frustrating if you are indeed going to end up where you were diverted to. Thirty-plus years ago, on a completely different airline, I was on a London to Miami flight that had to divert to Orlando due to weather. Half the plane were English tourists going to Disney and they were very upset that they couldn’t just get off there, the kicker being that with the diversion they were almost certainly going to miss their connecting flight back up to the very airport whose tarmac we were sitting on.

That's a good point - when my Southwest flight diverted to MKE from MDW, we pulled up to a gate so that the staff could get some materials or paperwork but it wasn't like we were fully docked there. Just getting some fuel and then heading down to MDW.