Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do I have to cancel my flight by June 30 to get extended travel funds?

Reading101
Explorer C

I bought tickets for the family for a Disney trip on March 12,2020. The tickets are for a flight departing on August 18. As of now, since we are from NY, we would have to self quarantine for two weeks, so obviously we will not be going on our Disney trip. I have about $2000 invested in these tickets, three of which are for young children. It is unknown if we will be able to reschedule for a later date.  I have a feeling that the flight will be cancelled, and then I can get a refund, which I prefer. My question is what happens if I end up cancelling ( not Southwest)? Do I still qualify for Covid-19 extended travel funds( Sept.. 2022) or just one year from original purchase? Thanks for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Do I have to cancel my flight by June 30 to get extended travel funds?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

From the COVID 19 page: Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022. 

So since your flight is scheduled for August you would get the September 7th 2022 expiration date. Just remember you would need to cancel at least 10min prior to departure to avoid losing the funds as a no show. 

As another thought if you don't feel comfortable traveling in August if Southwest has to extend the MAX8 cancellations it could cause a schedule change then you could then be entitled to a full refund to your original form or payment. 

-Blake

Re: Do I have to cancel my flight by June 30 to get extended travel funds?

dfwskier
Aviator A

The policy on the matter says if you buy a ticket for travel between March 1 and September 7, 2020, and then cancel that ticket, that you will get travel funds good thru 9/7/22.

community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Will-I-receive-a-refund-due-to-COVID-19/ta-p/105784#U105784