Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird voucher question

jgr789
Explorer B

Does anyone know if Travel needs to be COMPLETED by the expiration on the Early Bird voucher or can it be used for travel beyond that date?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Early Bird voucher question

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Travel must be completed before the expiration date. However, if you want more time and don't mind locking the funds to one person, book a flight with the LUV voucher and then cancel it. You'll be given travel funds with a September 2022 expiration date.

--TheMiddleSeat

jgr789
Explorer B

My travel Funds for the flight I cancelled have already been extended to September 2022.  The Early Bird voucher that was attached to that Reservation has an expiration date of 4/21/21. 

My question is do I have to use the Early Bird voucher for a flight that is before 4/21/21 or can I use the Early Bird voucher with my travel Funds for a flight that is completed by September 2022?

In other words does travel need to be completed before the expiration of the Early Bird voucher?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Same answer as my previous response, travel must be completed before the expiration date. If you want to use that value past April 2021 you have to do what I suggested in the previous post and then use that new travel fund along with the travel fund you already have to book the flight. It's a two step process. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jgr789
Explorer B

I'm sorry but my question is about the Early Bird voucher which they are only issuing for one year from the cancellation date of the reservation.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There is no "EarlyBird voucher". You have a LUV voucher for the amount you spent on EarlyBird Check-In. That voucher is only good for travel, it cannot be used to purchase EarlyBird Check-In. No voucher or credit can be used to purchase EarlyBird Check-In. Use it in combination with your travel funds to purchase travel. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jgr789
Explorer B

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the explanation about the LUV voucher.  I thought the voucher was specifically and only to be used to purchase another Early Bird which apparently is totally incorrect! 

So just to be clear, when I make another reservation, I can combine the LUV voucher and current travel funds to make the purchase?

What does LUV stand for anyway?

THANKS AGAIN for your help with understanding all this.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@jgr789 wrote:

So just to be clear, when I make another reservation, I can combine the LUV voucher and current travel funds to make the purchase?

Yes. During checkout on southwest.com (not the app or mobile site) you can apply up to 3 forms of payment. In your case, that's most likely one travel fund, one LUV voucher, and a credit card to cover any remaining balance.

But... again, if you want to travel after the expiration date of the LUV voucher you'll need to do the process I mentioned above. Use it to buy a flight (any flight), then cancel that flight. You will receive a travel fund with a later expiration date. Then use that and your other travel fund to buy your actual flight. 

From southwest.com:

What's LUV?

Southwest has been in LUV with our Customers from the very beginning. Therefore, it's fitting that we began service to San Antonio and Houston from Love Field in Dallas on June 18, 1971. As our Company and Customers grew, our LUV grew too! With the prettiest Flight Attendants serving "Love Bites" on our planes, and determined Employees issuing tickets from our "Love Machines," we changed the face of the airline industry throughout the 1970s. Then in 1977, our stock was listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "LUV." Over the ensuing years, our LUV has spread from coast to coast and border to border thanks to our hardworking Employees and their LUV for Customer Service.

--TheMiddleSeat

jgr789
Explorer B

Thanks again for all your help!

I totally misunderstood the whole voucher & how it was to be used.

That's quite the definition of LUV - Good to know!

Someone at SW just might want to update/ revise some of the wording!!!  😲

jgr789
Explorer B

One small glitch I ran into when trying to use the LUV voucher.  I had other Travel Funds with an earlier expiration date than the voucher so even though I tried using the voucher by entering in all the information, the reservation was totally paid for with Travel Funds.

When I spoke to a Customer Service person and told her I wanted to use the voucher, not Travel Funds,  she said the system is set up to use whichever has the earlier expiration date.

Just something to be aware of when making a reservation.