Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Earning A-list during 2020

cmurray556
Explorer C

I currently have A-list. I earned it in 2019, have it for 2020, and now will have it through 2021 due to the Covid extension. I am a couple of flights away from earning A-list in 2020. If I earn A-list in 2020, will it apply to 2022 or to 2021? Is there any value in trying to earn it this year when I already have it through next year? I have contacted Southwest support about this a couple of times, but they seem to misunderstand my question. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Earning A-list during 2020

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Unfortunately I don't think re-earning A List for next year if you already had it for 2020 will get you status through 2022. Personally I'm just going to use points the rest of this year and then in 2021 go back to cash reservations to earn status for 2022. Right now is a good time to use points with the current 20% off on points bookings for flights though October 31st using promo code SAVE20NOW however you would need to book by this Thursday for that promotion to work.  

Now if you will travel a lot the rest of the year and you only have A List currently you can go and earn A List Preferred but that would only be valid till the end of 2021 that would get you free WiFi and a 100% earning bonus. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Agree with @bec102896 here. No need to try and requalify for 2021. The caveat would be if you are also trying to get Companion Pass.

In my situation, my A List Pref status is extended for all of 2021, so no need for action the rest of 2020. But my CP has been extended only partially through 2021, so I am still trying to requalify for that, although with my work travel being non-existent, I am not sure my effort is worth it.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

bec102896
Aviator A

I know several frequent flier friends of mine are using this 2nd half of the year to do status challenges with other airlines that way next year they can have a backup airline with status in case they need to go somewhere SW doesn't fly. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

When you qualify for a-List of A-List preferred, you qualify for the balance of the year in you earned it and the next calendar year.

So if you qualify  in 2020, you have the status for the balance of 2020 and all of 2021.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I still hate that they extended status. Rather, they should have given a break on getting status for the year to reflect the reduced opportunities to fly. Next year, everyone with status from last year plus everyone who earned status this year will have status. More bloat.

I first had elite status on Northwest back in 2000. I got silver, and I was upgraded to first class my first flight. I made platinum (the highest back then), and I maintained it for five years. During those five years, I only missed an upgrade once. Now, on carriers with first class, even the highest status seems to get upgraded less than 50% of the time.

It is hard to tell how many people have A-List or higher with Southwest since with no upgrades, there isn't as clear of a distinction. Still, I'm sure that it is a lot. What has changed in the past 20 years that has made for so much bloat?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bwallet wrote:

It is hard to tell how many people have A-List or higher with Southwest since with no upgrades, there isn't as clear of a distinction. Still, I'm sure that it is a lot. What has changed in the past 20 years that has made for so much bloat?

I'm A-List and fly about 30 times a year. I can only remember a very few times over the last 5 years where I ended up with a boarding position outside of the A group -- and when that happened I was allowed to board at the equivalent of A-61.

There may be bloat, but It hasn't affected my ability to get a decent boarding position.