Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Empty Seat Policy

Snarfster
Explorer C

Since SWA is going to book (upto) full flights it would be appreciated if when selecting flight or a few days before check-in show percentage of flight seats booked so folks can change to different flight that's less full.

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Empty Seat Policy

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest has said it would notify passengers on "almost full" flights of that fact, and allow flyers to switch to less full flights -- at no cost.

edit add: The risk in the situation is that the airline notifies people that a flight is almost full. Then a bunch of people move from that flight to other flights. Then it turns out those flight are almost full -- while the original flight goes out with plenty of seats available.

What % of people will want to move from a flight that the airline announces is almost full?

I guess we'll find out.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

waiting to see if that happens.  I see that as that intense situation that I don't think anybody wants to be in.  When all window and aisle seats are taken, that flyer that has to ask a row"  Is that middle seat taken has got to have internal anxiety.  Not to mention, the two people who have to respond.   Since I'm A list, I will always be on first, and glad that won't be me asking, but I'm sure, (since I am normally in the coveted first 10 rows, will be asked.  It's not what I want, but it's coming

Snarfster
Explorer C

Delta, the only airline of the big three still blocking middle seats for social distancing, will continue to do so until March 30, 2021, the airline announced Wednesday.

fried98
Explorer C

The empty middle seat policy should be put back in place for the following reasons:

1)  Stand by customers  can cause a plane to fill up quickly 

2)  Customers switching flights after they are notified about plane capacity will only fill

up another flight.

While I have in the past enjoyed the convenience of Southwest's flights to Long Island, I will no longer be booking with Southwest until the pandemic ends.  As a result, I have switched to Delta, where the middle seat is left empty until March, 2021.   

Re: Here are 6 things to know about Southwest Airlines middle...

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

At least SWA is trying.  thank you.