Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

Matt4202
Active Member

Hi,

 

I have some Travel Funds for my wife and myself expiring at the end of March. Due to some health issues we won’t be able to travel by then.

 

I’ve read there’s a way to “trade in” expired Travel Funds for a LUV Voucher (less $100 of the expired funds per person I believe). It’s about $240 in expiring funds each so $140 each is better than nothing. I wish I would’ve just made and cancelled a reservation before 9/7 though to get the 2022 expiration, but it happens.

 

I wanted to know how to go about the “trade in” process and if it’s easy or fairly difficult.

 

Thanks!

 

 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor
Solution

Sounds like you've done your research.  Yes, after the travel funds expire you can call Customer Relations and get the expired travel funds reinstated as LUV vouchers.  You have 6 months after expiration of travel funds to do this and then the resulting vouchers are good for 6 months so time it correctly if you aren't going to be traveling immediately.  Additionally, the $100 "fee" is per travel fund, not per person, so if you one person has multiple travel funds there would be multiple fees.  If a passenger has multiple funds and you need help combining them before they expire please reply and I can share that info.

Contact Customer Relations 

 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

Matt4202
Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

 

I wrote per person because we have the same Travel Fund just split between two people.

 

For example -

 

If the Travel Fund ID was RTU858 its

 

Husband - RTU858 - $240

Wife - RTU858 - $240

 

I was thinking ahead as per person because I don’t think they’d consider that 1 Fund despite it having the same Travel Fund Numbers, sadly.

 

I appreciate the information. Is it fairly easy to do over the phone or is Twitter easier if anyone has experience?

Re: Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

@Matt4202 wrote:

 

I was thinking ahead as per person because I don’t think they’d consider that 1 Fund despite it having the same Travel Fund Numbers, sadly.


You are correct. In this situation both passengers would have the value of the travel fund associated with them reduced by $100. No further consolidation is possible. The process itself is pretty common nowadays, it used to be a pain because not every agent was aware of the unwritten policy.

 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

It would be best @Matt4202 if you can remove the travel fund ID from the post since it is tied to your name. Someone would need your name and the fund do do anything, but just in case that's best left off of the forum.

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

Matt4202
Active Member

I didn’t post the actual Travel Fund it was just an example Travel Fund. I appreciate the concern though.

Re: Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Sounds like you've done your research.  Yes, after the travel funds expire you can call Customer Relations and get the expired travel funds reinstated as LUV vouchers.  You have 6 months after expiration of travel funds to do this and then the resulting vouchers are good for 6 months so time it correctly if you aren't going to be traveling immediately.  Additionally, the $100 "fee" is per travel fund, not per person, so if you one person has multiple travel funds there would be multiple fees.  If a passenger has multiple funds and you need help combining them before they expire please reply and I can share that info.

Contact Customer Relations 

 

--TheMiddleSeat


 

I saw that you later corrected yourself -- I had wondered why you had posted this initially. For clarity: The fee is charged per fund, per person. When there are multiple passengers booked together on the same confirmation/travel fund, the fee is $100 per person.

 

The later info, regarding combining travel funds issued to a single person, remains great advice.

Re: Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Chalk that up to trying to keep the response as simple as possible, making a poor assumption about the the OP's situation, and the sometimes difficult to explain combination of funds being associated with an individual traveler while also sharing the same travel fund number. Based on further information from the OP I adjusted the response.

 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Expiring Travel Funds to LUV Voucher

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Chalk that up to trying to keep the response as simple as possible, making a poor assumption about the the OP's situation, and the sometimes difficult to explain combination of funds being associated with an individual traveler while also sharing the same travel fund number. Based on further information from the OP I adjusted the response.

 

--TheMiddleSeat


 

Understood. I do find it's often difficult to explain things in a way that doesn't include too much extraneous information.