Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Expiring Travel Funds

erinelaine24
Explorer C

I have travel funds that expire 11/30/2020. I have DM'd on Twitter and called to see any options available for either a refund or just an extension of the expiration date as there is nowhere safe to fly. I was told there is absolutely nothing available and I am just out of luck. Seeing as counties all over the country are going back into lockdown I would appreciate any advice on how to not lose my money/funds. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Expiring Travel Funds

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Lots of other posts and threads here with the same question.  Southwest did offer an opportunity to extend travel funds, but that opportunity is no longer available.  At this point you will either need to travel before your funds expire or after they expire you can request they be converted to a LUV voucher good for 6 months.  The value of the travel funds will be reduced by $100 if you go that route.

--TheMiddleSeat

erinelaine24
Explorer C

Yeah, I've seen the posts. Was just hoping that since the country is going back into strict Covid restrictions again maybe SW was going to allow extensions of expiration dates. Can't really go anywhere when no one wants you there. LOL

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No additional extensions yet.  That could change so keep checking here or southwest.com

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Cities may be locking down but that isn't stopping people from getting on planes. I flew into Chicago Midway on Saturday and the airport was pretty packed.

"On November 15, 2020, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screened 978,297 passengers at U.S. airports, compared with almost 2.4 million passengers screened in the same weekday one year earlier."

That's only a few thousand less flyers  than the greatest number of passengers in one day set last summer.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107016/coronavirus-tsa-checkpoint-travel-numbers-us-airports/

erinelaine24
Explorer C

But that is 1.4 million less that the year before, right?