Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extension on credit

hkeigley
Explorer C

There's got to be a way to get a 2 month extension for the credit I got when we couldn't travel due to Covid.

We have a major vacation planned in 2022 that we are taking my kids on and that means we won't be able to travel until then due to saving the funds for that.

I contact SW asking if I can pay a fee to extend this credit by only 2 months and I'm basically told there's nothing they can do...I'm willing to even pay a fee, like a $50 per ticket fee to extend that!!!! This is a MAJOR vacation we are planning, that won't be cheap and I can't travel until then. We also are trying to travel when it will feel safer for us.

I feel that there being absolutely NO flexibility there, especially when a customer OFFERS to pay a fee for that extension, is a little asinine.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Extension on credit

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Aside for the one time deal earlier this year that let passengers extend travel fund expiration date til 9/7/22, I am unaware of any other time the airline extended travel fund expiration dates.

There is the unofficial policy that let's travelers exchange expired trvel funds for vouchers

1) the action must be done within 6 months of a TF expiration

2) the cost is $100 per travel fund

3) the voucher may be used by anyone

4) the voucher is good for 6 months

If each passenger has multiple travel funds, it would be wise to use them together to buy a more expensive ticket, and then cancel that ticket. That way you could turn multiple $100 fees into a single $100 fee.

Re: Extension on credit

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

If each passenger has multiple travel funds, it would be wise to use them together to buy a more expensive ticket, and then cancel that ticket. That way you could turn multiple $100 fees into a single $100 fee.

If the travel funds expire in 2022 I wouldn't do the combining (of multiple funds if this applies to them) until after September 2021 because if you book with those 2022 expiration travel funds now they will expire a year from that new booking date. 

-Blake