Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

FLIGHT CREDITS DURING COVID SEASON

AngelaWalton
Explorer C

Last year my siblings and I booked flights from California to Louisiana for my Aunt's funeral who died from COVID. Unfortunately, one of us caught COVID and the others were exposed so we were not able to fly.  Southwest gave us flight credits to use later.

Well, here it is a year later with a little over $668 in flight credits - COVID still just a real as a year ago, but I am going to try to fly again.  Flight credits were due to expire mid-July.  My trips are in August and September - Southwest would not allow me to use those credits nor would they extend them at the time of my booking.  That is right near $700 Southwest has taken away from me and I am not pleased.

Southwest is my favorite airline, but they must do better.  There is no apparent reason why Southwest could not have extended the flight credits or something. I am a loyal Southwest customer and will go out of my way to fly Southwest.  A think a change in policy is warranted even if just thru this pandemic.  They have the money, while can't we keep the credits without a time limit?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: FLIGHT CREDITS DURING COVID SEASON

dfwskier
Aviator A

Right now, Southwest will allow you to convert travel funds to vouchers -- at no cost - thru 12/31/22. There is normally a $100 fee to do this. This is  one time exception to the normal policy It has nevver been done before. .Unlike travel funds, vouchers may be used by anyone.  So you could use them all yourself. Vouchers are good for 6 months from date of issue.

Click on contact us (below) to proceed.

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

Starting today Southwest credits will no longer expire - but they have to be created from today on. Earlier credits keep their current expiration. My advise to you would be to book any flight with your credits and then cancel it - you will be able to use your credits without any expiration dates. 

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Blog/Introducing-Flight-Credits-that-Don-t-Expire/ba-p/146495 

--Jessica

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

Starting today Southwest credits will no longer expire - but they have to be created from today on. Earlier credits keep their current expiration. My advise to you would be to book any flight with your credits and then cancel it - you will be able to use your credits without any expiration dates. 

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Blog/Introducing-Flight-Credits-that-Don-t-Expire/ba-p/146495 

--Jessica

So it turns out that it will be retroactive! Any unexpired travel credit will be changed to a non-expire.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

klatu24
Explorer C

I lost about $1,500 in expired travel funds during covid...I tried to write letters to ask if they could convert them to points so I wouldn't lose the money, and was told no.  Any chance they would they would reinstate all that money I lost into points with their new policy now?