Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family reservation partially cancelled

Rhmason74
Explorer C

This morning, my husband received a text saying that his flight has been cancelled with a link to rebook. The flight is for next week. I have received no notice of the flight being cancelled. Our tickets were booked on the same reservation, and when either of us login to southwest.com, it does not show the flight is cancelled, but it does say we are eligible to rebook. Is it possible they would cancel just one of our reservations even though they were booked together, or is there just some kind of delay due to the current circumstances? For reference he received the cancellation text about 6 hours ago. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Family reservation partially cancelled

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If all passengers are on the same reservation, same confirmation number then the cancelation message may only go to the individual who was logged in to their account when making the reservation. Not 100% sure about that, but it could explain the lack of notification. More importantly, when he logs in to select a new flight, it should adjust all passengers on the reservation. You, and any other passengers should then see that change reflected in your own Rapid Rewards accounts. If you are unsure about this you could contact Southwest via phone, live chat in the Southwest app, or send a private message on Twitter (@SouthwestAir) to ensure the changes are made correctly.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Rhmason74 if the flight was cancelled then you are able to request a refund for everyone on the reservation.

If you want a refund then get in touch with Southwest by Twitter/Facebook private message (reportedly the fastest ways to get a response) or call (contact options in the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of forum pages).  Be sure to tell them you want a refund, even when they offer other options like rebooking.  Be persistent and keep telling them you want a refund.  When Southwest cancels a flight you are entitled to a refund.

Customer | Home airport DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SWDigits I see no indication they don't want to complete travel as the request was how to rebook.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@SWDigits I see no indication they don't want to complete travel as the request was how to rebook.

--TheMiddleSeat

I think you're mistaken -- I don't see any indication from their post that they want to rebook.

At any rate, I think it's good that they are made aware of all of their options, including those not mentioned in the cancellation notification.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat do you know if Southwest is making it clear to passengers that a refund option is available when Southwest cancels the flight?  If they are then I'll link to that information going forward, I just don't know where to find the Southwest reference.

When @Rhmason74 posted the message they indicated that they were posting because the communications from Southwest were not seamless from their perspective so they may not even have known to ask about a refund.  Even if my post doesn't help the original poster the information may help someone else down the road, that is the beauty of the search function of the message boards!

Stay safe everyone!!!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SWDigits As you know, I don't work for Southwest so I won't pretend to know how clear they make options known to customers. I do not believe they are maliciously hiding anything. 

I've read the original post over and over have come to the conclusion it's very unclear as to what the poster was actually hoping for. I can see why you think they want to cancel, and I can also see they still want to travel. Without hearing from them again we may never know, but hopefully they got all the various opinions and can make an informed decision about what to do.

--TheMiddleSeat

Rhmason74
Explorer C

@TheMiddleSeat @SWDigits hi to you both! Thanks for replying. 

I didn't make clear what I was hoping to do. Part of my confusion was: I booked the roundtrip tickets for myself and my spouse, but I never received a notification that part of the ticket was cancelled. 

We didn't want to rebook, and while I haven't found anywhere Southwest is publicly saying you can ask for a refund, I knew about that option. 

Since my husband is the one who actually was notified of the flight cancellation, he messaged Southwest on Facebook saying we wanted a refund, and we were told we could be refunded and should expect the refund within 14 days. 

Thanks again for your replies! 

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Rhmason74 wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat @SWDigits hi to you both! Thanks for replying. 

I didn't make clear what I was hoping to do. Part of my confusion was: I booked the roundtrip tickets for myself and my spouse, but I never received a notification that part of the ticket was cancelled. 

We didn't want to rebook, and while I haven't found anywhere Southwest is publicly saying you can ask for a refund, I knew about that option. 

Since my husband is the one who actually was notified of the flight cancellation, he messaged Southwest on Facebook saying we wanted a refund, and we were told we could be refunded and should expect the refund within 14 days. 

Thanks again for your replies! 

Great, thanks for circling back, glad the message boards and the community of customers was able to help you!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@SWDigits As you know, I don't work for Southwest so I won't pretend to know how clear they make options known to customers. I do not believe they are maliciously hiding anything. 

I've read the original post over and over have come to the conclusion it's very unclear as to what the poster was actually hoping for. I can see why you think they want to cancel, and I can also see they still want to travel. Without hearing from them again we may never know, but hopefully they got all the various opinions and can make an informed decision about what to do.

--TheMiddleSeat

I must disagree.

Southwest isn't informing customers that they have the option of receiving a refund when their flight is cancelled. This is not shown anywhere on the cancellation notices, or the Southwest website, or the Southwest Community updates.

They are hiding that fact.

Whether malicious or not I can't say. But it's clear that customers are absolutely not receiving "all the various opinions and can make an informed decision about what to do" from Southwest. Which is why it's of utmost importance that the information is shared here customer-to-customer.