Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Feedback on Recent Experience

alysusan122293
Explorer C

I would just like to start by saying that I normally would recommend SW to a family member or friend. I have our entire organization set up and using SW to book all work travel and flights. However, I have been VERY disappointed with my experience the past month or so with SW and how they have handled one issue in particular. We had an individual who was set to fly in for a conference in the beginning of March (right when COVID-19 began). The conference was cancelled due to COVID-19 and as a result of business impact, we had to lay this particular individual, among many others, off permanently. I immediately called SW Customer support to see what our options were. I was told that transfer-ability was not an option but a supervisor would reach out to follow up in the event it would be. I was told I would receive a call back but NEVER did. A few weeks went by, I did the same thing making the same call and was told I would receive a call back...Nothing. I called today for a third time, to be told that once again I would receive a call back. When I received the call, I was told that nothing could be done and the window of forgiveness for these types of instances was closed. Not sure how this makes sense since I have tried SEVERAL times the past month to get this corrected or at least get a solution. I am very very very disappointed with SW and will be sure our entire organization tranfers over to begin using one of the major competitors. We have had nothing but problems and issues since COVID-19 began. We will be using someone else for all company travel moving forward. Thanks but no thanks SW for making a 5 minute phone call into a huge issue that was drug out for over two months.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Feedback on Recent Experience

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@alysusan122293 I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience.  Fortunately, I manage all my own travel for work, so I am not used to having to manage travel for others. 

It's unfortunate that SW did not respond in a timely manner.  These are wild times, and I know that all travel companies were simply overwhelmed with the number of cancellations and changes. That said, it is reasonable for you to expect to receive a callback if that is what you were promised.

The reality is that travel funds are never transferable.  That leaves you with two options:

1. Allow the employee who is no longer at your company to take the travel funds with them for personal use (since it is in their name), or
  2. Contact SW customer relations via social media. This team is super helpful, and I am sure they would love to hear your situation. I am not sure what they will be able to do, but it is worth a shot.  There are options for Twitter (use Direct Message) or Facebook Messenger.

I would hate to see you change your loyalties over this issue, especially given SW's overall value proposition for business and personal travelers.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

alysusan122293
Explorer C

I definitely have been very loyal to SW for their service and how my team and I have always been treated. I am not ignoring that one bit. However, my frustration lies on how long this process has gone on for a small issue that should have been resolved back in March. I understand this one ticket is a small purchase but we are a smaller organization so every dollar spent throughout our organization is spent purposefully. SW is in fact a large organization with what I can imagine has had a huge influx of inquiries since this has begun. I respect everything the customer service team has done and everyone I have spoken with has been very kind and understanding. But i hope you can understand why I am a bit frustrated.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Unfortunately, this is one of the disadvantages of a "Wanna Get Away" fare. You get a  lower (often much lower) fare, but it does have some restrictions. None of this was planned on anyone's part.

Since it is, no doubt, a relatively small amount of money, and this employee was laid off and is no doubt at a significantly hurt position, why not just inform them of the credit and wish them good luck? It is a gesture of good will. If you gave them a decent severance package, it is only a small amount more. If not, why begrudge a small token to someone who is now hurting?

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I can't stop thinking about this. It vexes me. You laid off, by your own statement, many employees, and you're worrying that one of them might be left with a few hundred dollars of residual Southwest credit. Please remind me never, ever to work for you.

alysusan122293
Explorer C

I would like to add that this employee is an individual who would never normally be traveling so this would not make sense to have this unused ticket lying around. We take very good care of our teams across all locations. This was an unfortunate decision the organization, not myself, had to make. I was simply stating my frustration for the overall issue and what I was told by SW via phone many many times. Like I said, we are a very small organization so this type of situation, which no one could have predicted, just did not seem to be handled as well as it could have been. I would have been fine if I was told months ago that this could not be refunded, but instead this issue was drawn out way too long for no reason.