Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Feel robbed

Flyalot56
Explorer C

I booked new travel using travel funds for part of the cost.  I had to cancel as my plans changed.  Now all of the money I paid reverts to the original expiration date - which is in 2 weeks.  Instead of losing my original $50, I'm now losing $150.  

Contacted SW and the rep says it's "the computer system" and they can't change it.  I've heard this blame refrain and don't buy it.

Have been Rewards customer for a decade or more, with probably 10 flights/year or more.  SW used to be my airline of choice, but I'm going to shop around now.  

This is DISGUSTING.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Feel robbed

dfwskier
Aviator A

Those are the PUBLISHED rules. They are not hidden. They are not a secret.

Southwest  isn’t robbing you. It is simply doing what it said it would do.

Flyalot56
Explorer C

So it's PUBLISHED and it's not a secret.  That DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT.  I can see and agree with losing the original funds on the original expiration date.    Cumulative loss of all additional funds is not right.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

My definition of something “not being right” is a bit different than yours.

my definition of “not being right” is when a company fails to follow its stated policies and procedures, but that’s just me

that being said,you an always file a complaint with SW customer relations.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

@FlyALot

This is completely on you.

If you didn't think this rule was "right," then you should not have agreed to SWA's Contract of Carriage when you purchased your ticket using Travel Funds. 

You need to read the rules.  Few people do, and then whine about it...falsely claiming that they were "robbed."

If I screw up because I didn't read, for instance, a return policy in its entirety, and am later denied a return on an item...then the mistake is mine and I own up to it.  I don't blame the company and call their policy "disgusting."

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

I empathize because I have learned the exact same lesson, except with a $50 voucher and an additional $200 purchase.  I begrudgingly accepted it and never made the same mistake again.  There are so many other good things about Southwest that this one “hrmmph” moment did not turn me off of the airline.

Sorry that it happened to you.  There are several posts on this forum that warn about it; however, I suspect that, like me, you may not have looked to see that it could happen until it did happen to you.