Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight cancellation

ghelmlinger11
Explorer C

Has southwest been cancelling a lot of flights?  We are traveling from Cleveland to Phoenix and our direct flight was canceled a few months ago.  We were able to make changes and find other flights for around the same time.

Now, looking at the flights there are only three available flights per day for our trip. All three of the flights show “not available”. I’ve been reading on here that sometimes when flights show not available it means they are getting ready to cancel flights.  Do you think we should be concerned and start looking For alternatives?  Or would those flights just be full due to the new social distancing in Mask rules.   I would think/hope that within two weeks we should be pretty safe. But I’m just not sure, and starting to worry.

thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Flight cancellation

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ghelmlinger11 wrote:

Has southwest been cancelling a lot of flights?  We are traveling from Cleveland to Phoenix and our direct flight was canceled a few months ago.  We were able to make changes and find other flights for around the same time.

Now, looking at the flights there are only three available flights per day for our trip. All three of the flights show “not available”. I’ve been reading on here that sometimes when flights show not available it means they are getting ready to cancel flights.  Do you think we should be concerned and start looking For alternatives?  Or would those flights just be full due to the new social distancing in Mask rules.   I would think/hope that within two weeks we should be pretty safe. But I’m just not sure, and starting to worry.

thanks!

All airlines have cancelled lots of flights  because so few people are travelling. Before the cutbacks there were lots of reports of planes going out empty

United has cut 90% of it's flights. American has cut 80% and Southwest about 67%.

So, it is entirely possible that your options would be more limited on other airlines. You can't know unless you look.

It is entirely possible that the SW flights show as unavailable because of Southwest's new policy of limiting sales to allow more social distancing on planes. 

Re: Flight cancellation

jksobonya
Aviator A

Has Southwest been cancelling a lot of flights? Yes. Yes they have. 🙂 

--Jessica