Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight cancelled: Midway - Cancun

Pbar
Explorer C

Originally had a direct flight trip booked from Midway to Cancun in April which obviously got cancelled. Rebooked to a new direct flight in October. Went to check my reservation yesterday and when I clicked on my reservation in the app, it says my reservation was cancelled along with an error code. Called SW customer service and they said all direct flights were cancelled and can only book connecting flights. 
Why wasn’t I contacted informing they cancelled my flight? When was SW planning on contacting those who had these flights booked they were no longer available? Terrible customer service. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Flight cancelled: Midway - Cancun

bec102896
Aviator A

I've noticed the system has been having some issues notifying customers of cancelled flights during these unusual times. I have had several family members find out the flight they were on was cancelled by logging in to their accounts. 

Since the airline cancelled your flight you can either ask for a full refund or you can be rebooked on another flight at with no fare difference. You can also share your feedback about not being contacted with Southwest directly if you'd like though one of these contact methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint  this way Southwest can respond to you personally. 

-Blake

Pbar
Explorer C

After calling SW customer service number, those were the 2 options that they gave me. Will probably be asking for the fare returned since the appeal was having a direct flight at a great price. Now we’ll be paying more on a different airline just to have a direct flight. Very disappointed we weren’t notified of the cancellation - SW is usually very good about these things. 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I understand your frustration. The same thing has happened to me.

Aren't you being a bt dramatic about this? After all your flight is a full 5 months away.

If people start flying, SW may add back flights 5 months from now. So you have an option of sitting on your reservation to see if  a better flight appears..  If it does, change to it.

Pbar
Explorer C

Yeah, you’re right. 
The whole thing is frustrating. Nothing I can do or say will have them add direct flights back to their schedule. I understand that it’s probably both an economic and safety decision they made. It’s been a tough 3 months for everyone! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Pbar wrote:

Ironic that we were just talking about no notice cancellations. I just had another one.

Last week I changed to a flight on Wednesday. I just looked, and I had been changed to an earlier flight on Wednesday. Because that happened I could not make a change on line. So I called. Note that my original flight was still showing as bookable.

The reservation person I talked with confirmed that my flight had been cancelled and I had been rebooked. I was then rebooked again to another flight leaving 5 minutes earlier than my orginal (cancelled) flight.

Two point to note:

1) my cancelled flight still showed as bookable. I tried and got as far as the payment screen and SW never stopped me.

2) The new flight I was rebooked on never showed up at all on the SW website - and thus no one would have been able to book it.

Yes, SW is having  IT issues, and yes it is irritating.

Stay healthy.