Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight cancelled, fine. But then it gets worse.

douginKY
Explorer A

Long time customer who books online or through the app.  I have always been satisfied.  But what has happened to SWA?  I booked a r/t with points.  Was to return yesterday.  Aircraft got behind early in the day due to weather and a diversion.  Fine, it happens.  But even though the aircraft was running more than 5 hours behind, the airline kept changing the departure time from KRSW, ultimately setting it for 2:02am (instead of 8:30pm).  We set out to airport after 10pm and were nearly there when a text arrived; flight cancelled.  Our Uber driver returned us to our starting point ($70 fare).  OK, fine, I'm cool, things happen.  But then I get messages from SWA stating my "trip has been modified" but they do not show a new flight, and when I use the confirmation number on the website it says "this trip occurred in the past."  I am using the link SWA texted to me!!!!  Come on man!  My family member on the same trip (different reservation, paid with $) was automatically re-booked for THREE DAYS out, with a very poor itinerary.  We have cancelled her reservation and both booked tickets on Delta because we need to get home tomorrow, but why did my information just disappear into the mist?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flight cancelled, fine. But then it gets worse.

bec102896
Aviator A

If you just went to the airport they might have been able to help rebook you for the next day they sometimes have seats open after the system does an auto rebooking. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Also, while not particularly helpful in this situation, something to keep in mind for the future. Even though you received notifications that your flight was delayed, you should still arrive at the airport in time for the original departure. Often with lengthy delays Southwest will do a plane swap and the flight will end up going out more or less on time. That didn't happen here, but being at the airport earlier might have enabled you to be moved to a different itinerary that may have got you home that evening. (This of course is completely dependent upon the airport and the frequency/availability of flights.)

Unfortunately, as you're discovered, air travel is particularly fraught potential issues this summer. 

douginKY
Explorer A

Yes, if we had been flying from an airport like BWI or another crew base I might have done that, but there is no way I was going to RSW 6+ hours in advance of a flight that was rescheduled for 2AM.  I should have trusted my intuition and never gone to the airport at all, in this instance.  FWIW, when we left RSW yesterday (on Delta, since SWA had rebooked one of us for Tuesday, 3 days from original departure) I stopped by the SW ticket counter and the friendly agent there tried to look up my record and was as puzzled as me.  She was able to refund my points, but agreed I had not been rebooked, despite automated messaging from the airline that claimed otherwise.