Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight cancelled

Kruser87
Explorer C

We had a trip from Chicago midway to cancun coming up in 2 months. While looking at my southwest account yesterday I was surprised to find our reservation had been cancelled without notice. After reading similar stories on here I guess that happens continues sometimes. Here's my main issue: after taking to southwest then can get us there as planned but can only fly us back either the day before or the day after we were originally booked for. Obviously on top of the whole situation being extremely frustrating, this creates an issue with the hotel. Either I lose 1.5/2 days in cancun or I have to try to get an extra night and then have to pay for that. My spouse has been talking to the airline. Spouse said they've actually been rude, said the best they can do is fly us another day, won't offer anything to make up for it, and even threatened to cancel the entire trip if we didn't drop the issue. The original day of our return still has flights listed but they all day "unavailable", not "sold out". Any advice is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flight cancelled

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Pick another flight that is currently available so you have something booked and then continue to watch for alternative options.  You can change the flight later, although you would be on the hook for any difference in price between what you have booked now and what you change to.  Alternatively, cancel the return leg on Southwest and book with another airline that can work with your specific schedule.

--TheMiddleSeat

Kruser87
Explorer C

Thanks. Yes, we took the flight coming home a day early just to have something for now. I'm going to look up return flights in other airlines also. I realize it sounds silly but I'm almost in shock about how it turned out and was just hoping there was a better solution. We've been flying southwest for years and have never had anything but an excellent experience until now.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Continue to regularly monitor flight availability on the "sold out" day. People cancel all the time. If a flight  comes open, snag the seats.

As another option, there are other airlines. And since  SW cancelled, it would refund  to the original form of payment.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Hope it all works out, safe travels!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger