Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight change waiver inconsistencies

gsking
Aviator C

The red bar allowing me to change flight times and local airports seems to appear and disappear randomly. 

Yesterday, I could move my flights for this Friday.   Today I can't.   Tomorrow it might show back up.   This has happened many times over the past weeks. 

Has anyone figured out the rhyme and reason to it? 

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Flight change waiver inconsistencies

dfwskier
Aviator A

I have not seen the ability to change without penalty come and go.

When almost everything was getting cancelled , SW was letting everyone change everything.

Starting about 2 weeks ago, SW went back to the normal "you can change without penalty if we cancel your flight" method.

Once granted that option, I have not seen the option revoked.

gsking
Aviator C

Yeah, that's what I would have expected.   But it definitely comes and goes for me.     I thought it was probably all gone, but then saw it was offered last night.   Then today...poof.

Glad I moved my Hawaii trip a few days ago when they extended the quarantine.   Doesn't look like I could do it now. 

Guess I'll check tomorrow. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Other people have reported seeing the banner come and go as well. There have also been frequent changes to the length of time the waiver covers -- from 60 days (appears to be dead) to 30 days (for some now) to 14 days (usual time frame). There are actually multiple waivers at play currently, as the MAX waiver is still in effect until August 10, 2020, and the waivers for flights "cancelled" due to socially distancing requirements may also apply to any specific flight. For example, my July flight that was "cancelled" due to social distancing showed the ability to change for free up to 14 days, but only for the first 3 days following the receipt of the email notification. Now it's allowing me a 30-day period for changes, presumably under the MAX waiver. I think Southwest's systems are struggling to accommodate all the different changes necessary. My best advice would be to keep checking, as things seem to be changing constantly. And take advantage of whatever works best for your specific situation.

gsking
Aviator C

Ha, good to know it's not just me.  😁

There's some logic to it, we just probably don't know what it is.  Well, I guess it keeps things exciting. 

I'll admit, though, I'm getting a little spoiled being able to move my flights around.  Having to plan three weeks or more out?  How 2019. 

Well, there's always same day standby.

bec102896
Aviator A

The red bar shows up for me on flights I have booked in July it also lets me move flights a month earlier or later so I could book a same day ticket for the cheaper july price if I wanted. 

I have also noticed the June flights waiver have come and gone randomly with the red bar usually see it Thursday-Sunday if it appears (very weird). 

-Blake

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Flights through August 10th should be receiving the 30-day MAX waiver. I think some of the issues we're seeing are when additional waivers are applied, such as the 14-day waiver for flights cancelled due to social distancing requirements.

dfwskier
Aviator A

None of my June or July flights allow me to make   "no extra fare" changes.

edit add: I just checked and my 4 July flights allow the change.

Earlier in June I checked my June flights repeatedly and none allowed a change.

bec102896
Aviator A

The waiver is now on my flights from July through September.