Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Flight changes that make zero sense!

Rising Star

Hi all,

I have a flight scheduled from PHL to TUL in December. 

I received an e-mail that my flight to TUL had changed, so I went to look it up. 

It's...wacky.

The original flight has a stop in STL, so PHL > STL > TUL.

Now the reservation has 2 separate flights scheduled, one from PHL > STL and the second from STL > TUL. The problem? I arrive in STL after the STL > TUL flight leaves. 😂 Unless someone invents a time machine, it is impossible to make the connection. 

Unfortunately, this is happening because Southwest is eliminating a lot of PHL > TUL flights and they're still trying to get me there by putting me on two different flights. 

I'm going to contact them and see what I can do - and get this - the flight coming home (TUL > PHL) is even *worse* and I didn't get an e-mail about that change. They have me going from TUL > PHX and PHX > PHL, two different flights and same scenario, I arrive too late in PHX to make the flight to PHL they scheduled me to be on. 

What was a TUL > PHX > PHL flight is now a TUL > STL > PHX PHX > DEN > PHL flight.

It's total madness. 

Some questions about having multiple flights on a single reservation: 

1) Do you have to 'check in' for the second flight? I assume since it's all under one confirmation #, your initial check in is good for both flights? 

2) Similarly, when flight 1 is concluded, do I have to leave the terminal and re-enter the airport to go through security to board flight #2? 

3) Does having 2 flights on one reservation count toward the flight # requirement for A-List / Companion Pass status? In other words, would I get credit for both flights even if it's a single reservation?

Thanks all!

--Jessica

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Flight changes that make zero sense!

Top Contributor

Hi  Jessica.

The SW flight reservation computer program leaves a great deal to desired - especially when dealing with massive numbers of changes - as it is now. 

Best advice is to see if you can do better by changing on line.

@jksobonya wrote:

Some questions about having multiple flights on a single reservation: 

1) Do you have to 'check in' for the second flight? I assume since it's all under one confirmation #, your initial check in is good for both flights? 

This sounds like a simple connection to a flight with a different flight number. So you should only have to check in for he first flight.

2) Similarly, when flight 1 is concluded, do I have to leave the terminal and re-enter the airport to go through security to board flight #2? 

No you should not have to clear security again. Just walk to the gate of your second flight.

3) Does having 2 flights on one reservation count toward the flight # requirement for A-List / Companion Pass status? In other words, would I get credit for both flights even if it's a single reservation?

It would be classified as a connection and you'd get one credit towards A List qualification.Now if you had two flights,  booked separately then then you'd get two credits. You could do that by booking a multi city trip with on flight being PHL/STL and a second flight of STL/TUL.

Booking as a multi city trip results in a savings versus booking two one way trips (at least it has when I've done it).

You apparently booked PHL/TUL.

Thanks all!

--Jessica

Highlighted

Rising Star

@dfwskier -- the irony of that statement is that the flights do not have a "change" option online! Only cancel. I think it's because flights to TUL no longer exist for the dates I want them, so yeah, it's a cluster. I think that they tried booking a multi-city itinerary, but it just isn't logical. I am hoping a SW rep has the power to modify them - this is the first time I haven't gotten a near immediate response from my Direct Messages. 

--Jessica

Highlighted

Rising Star

This sounds like a simple connection to a flight with a different flight number. So you should only have to check in for he first flight.

No, it's not just a simple connection. The reservation shows PHL > STL as "flight 1" and "STL > TUL" as "flight 2." I've never had multiple flights on a single reservation before that weren't just connecting flights, hence my questions. I assume this is a 'multi-city' itinerary gone wrong lol. Here's what the flight out currently looks like:

flight2.PNGflight1.PNG

Thanks for answering!

--Jessica

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@jksobonya wrote:

No, it's not just a simple connection. The reservation shows PHL > STL as "flight 1" and "STL > TUL" as "flight 2." I've never had multiple flights on a single reservation before that weren't just connecting flights, hence my questions. I assume this is a 'multi-city' itinerary gone wrong lol. Here's what the flight out currently looks like:

flight2.PNGflight1.PNG

Thanks for answering!

--Jessica

I think you should be fine.

Southwest does not allow a customer to book  two connecting flights with different flight numbers as part of a single reservation. The way a customer would have to do it as is shown above - with one flight with one connection -- followed by  a non stop flight.

The question is do you have to check in for flight 2. I don't know.

I presume the reason you are not being allowed to rebook on line is that the computer is seeing two distinct flights.

I'd suggest finding a different flight, and then contacting SW via e-mail to make the change for you. What they gave you sure is not very good.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

Jessica - to clarify one thing I said above

as your flight is currently booked (two distinct flights) you would get 2 flight credits towards A-Lis status. Too bad you cant''t use it.

Highlighted

Rising Star

I was able to find some 'better' routes where I can make the connections - essentially flights with 2 stops - and the agent was able to switch me to those. The agent initially wanted to put me on flights with 3 stops each way :X 

Hopefully it will work out - each leg is showing as 'one' flight now, and not 2 flights as it was previously. I hope it won't cause any trouble, because again, flights to Tulsa aren't technically available for the dates I'm flying, so I hope I won't have any checkin problems. 

--Jessica

Highlighted

New Arrival

I'm having the same issue. Its a mess. they changed my flight so I miss my connecting flight and can't reach my destination- who does this stuff?? 4 hours on hold. did they close customer service. No one answers!