Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Flight changes that make zero sense!

jksobonya
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

Bumping this back up because TUL flights continue to give me grief 😅

I've been planning another PHL > TUL trip for May - Fri-Sun. My Friday flight moved from a departure of 8AM to 6AM (nothing I can do about that), and my Sunday flight got moved up an entire day to Saturday, because they cut flights entirely on Sunday. 

Here's the thing - there are "options" to get from Tulsa to Philly by booking one ways (or multi-city). They may not be totally convenient, but they exist. 

I ended up canceling the Saturday flight entirely and I booked 2 one ways for Sunday. TUL > DEN and DEN > PHL. There's a 7 hour layover 😂 but I don't care lol.

Here's an update on how all of this worked out this weekend:

My original DEN > PHL flight with the long layover got delayed even more due to weather and it was not due to leave DEN until after 8PM (orig 7PM) and arrive in PHL until after 1AM - closer to 2AM, actually. While en route to DEN I looked to see if I had any other options and the only flight that had availability was a flight going from DEN > MCO and then MCO > PHL. The connection was 45 minutes and I would get in PHL before 11PM. I went to the gate agent and asked if it was possible to switch. The gate agent looked it up and said there was *one* ticket left on the MCO flight just for me (!) and gave me updated boarding passes with positions C 22 and C 51 🤣 (Wouldn't my position be C60 if there was only 1 ticket left? Maybe not if there were other cancellations, etc.) 

After getting a quick lunch I checked the MCO flight again and it was actually delayed by 30 minutes, so my connection time expanded to an hour and 15 minutes, with a new departure of 8:25PM. (was 7:55PM). Fine by me. 

The flight to MCO was set to leave at 1:35PM, but then we heard that there was also weather delays with it coming in, some planes were being diverted because they were running out of fuel, and we may not be able to leave on time. Well now I start to panic 😁

Our plane did eventually arrive, but it took awhile to get to the gate and deplane, clean, board, and finally get going due to weather. We didn't leave until 2:45PM, over an hour behind. 

The flight tracker said we were going to arrive in MCO anywhere from 8:15 - 8:25PM. Original arrival was supposed to be 7:10PM. 

Well ... great. 

I was convinced I was going to miss the connection and spend the night in Orlando. So much for shaving a few hours off my trip! I should have stayed in DEN all day! 

We ended up landing a little after 8PM and we got to the gate at 8:15. I had 10 minutes to deplane and get to the gate. 3 things were in my favor here: 1) Despite being one of the very last to board in the C group, there was a middle seat open in ROW 2, which I took. Imagine if I was in the back of the plane. 2) The flight to PHL was literally at the next gate in the terminal so I didn't have to run a mile in the airport or anything. 3) If the PHL flight was not delayed by that extra 30 minutes, I would have missed it. 

I made it on with a few minutes to spare, and believe it or not, despite being the very last person to board that flight I got a seat in row 4. (Middle seat of course, but row 4!)

Made it back to PHL by 10:55PM. 😁🙌

...that was exhausting lol. One of the closest calls I think I've had trying to make a connection!

Now that I'm home, I'm checking my RR activity and noticed something interesting. I somehow got over 5,000 points for the TUL > DEN flight - and that flight was the smoothest of the day with no problems lol. I know I didn't pay that much for that flight - it was around the same price as the others - actually, a little less, around $100 total I think? How did I get so many points? 

5/24/21XXXXXX - Denver, CO - DEN to Philadelphia, PA - PHL 05/23/2021+773
5/23/21XXXXXX - Tulsa, OK - TUL to Denver, CO - DEN 05/23/2021+5,494
5/21/21XXXXXX - Philadelphia, PA - PHL to Tulsa, OK - TUL 05/21/2021+741

--Jessica

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi @jksobonya ! Sorry for any stress caused by the tight connection! Customer Relations will be able to look at your RR account and tell you where the points came from.

Contact Customer Relations 

Nicole
Community Manager

dfwskier
Aviator A

@

Now that I'm home, I'm checking my RR activity and noticed something interesting. I somehow got over 5,000 points for the TUL > DEN flight -

I bet you signed up for the "fly 2 segments and get 5000 points" promotion and that flight was the second one

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@

Now that I'm home, I'm checking my RR activity and noticed something interesting. I somehow got over 5,000 points for the TUL > DEN flight -

I bet you signed up for the "fly 2 segments and get 5000 points" promotion and that flight was the second one

I signed up for that promotion awhile back and took the 2 RTs and still didn't get my 5,000. I'm guessing those points post after the promotion ends. 

My guess is when they did the rebooking they upgraded the ticket to the anytime fare and boom more points. This has happened to me with reaccomadation before. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

@

I signed up for that promotion awhile back and took the 2 RTs and still didn't get my 5,000. I'm guessing those points post after the promotion ends. 

My guess is when they did the rebooking they upgraded the ticket to the anytime

As was the case with Jessica, I got mine instantly at the same time I received the regular flight points.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@

Yes! That's it! I totally forgot about this promotion! Well I'm glad that I signed up for it and it worked out in my favor 😉 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

-

Yes! That's it! I totally forgot about this promotion! Well I'm glad that I signed up for it and it worked out in my favor 😉 

Yup, the 5000 points is worth a little more than $79 in SW fare.

Valgirl9
Explorer C

I'm having the same issue. Its a mess. they changed my flight so I miss my connecting flight and can't reach my destination- who does this stuff?? 4 hours on hold. did they close customer service. No one answers!