Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight price

Janet31686
Explorer C

I booked two flights from Tampa to Havana for a little over $700, the lady assured me that she held a second reservation for 5 because we were going as a large group. I tried over and over to pay for the second reservation with no luck. I saw the flights had nearly doubled in price so I called to see if someone could help me pay for what I originally held. The Rep was so rude and basically told me there was nothing she would do to help me. I filed a complaint with soutwest hoping that someone would reach out and help me resolve my issue and I have yet to hear back. It’s really unfortunate that SW treats customers that are spending thousands on flights this way. We have options on airlines and going forward I think that’s what I will have to do, explore my options. I have yet to hear from anyone or have any type of resolution to this issue. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Flight price

bec102896
Aviator A

Sometimes it’s best to call back and get a different agent. 

so you put a reservation on hold? If so they would have given you a confirmation number 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Is putting a reservation on hold an actual thing Southwest does? I know other airlines let you lock in a fare, but you have to pay to do it. I've never heard of an official policy that Southwest will hold a fare. Anyone have any actual experience with it? I can't recall in the years of being here in the Community reading about Southwest holding a fare. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Is putting a reservation on hold an actual thing Southwest does? I know other airlines let you lock in a fare, but you have to pay to do it. I've never heard of an official policy that Southwest will hold a fare. Anyone have any actual experience with it? I can't recall in the years of being here in the Community reading about Southwest holding a fare. 

--TheMiddleSeat

I've "saved" a reservation online but it was always subject to updated pricing when finally purchased.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

--TheMiddleSeat

I’ve held a seat before but was told the fare is not locked in just that the flight won’t sell out

i did this before Covid a couple times but my fare never increased as I usually booked the ticket just a couple hours later 

jksobonya
Aviator A

I don't have any experience booking group flights. If a reservation was made for a certain date for a certain number of people, do you pay the price that it was when you initially made the reservation? This is what it sounds like, and you can also pay over time, so I'm not sure why you are being quoted a fare almost double the price unless you were given a quote at one time but never actually confirmed it and paid it. 

The flights "doubling in price" are not applicable to what you see on Southwest.com, as group travel fares are different. 

This is from the group travel FAQ: 

I saw a lower fare available on Southwest.com® versus what I was quoted through Group Travel Services. Why?

Southwest.com fares and Group fares differ in many ways, and each offers its own unique benefits. The best option for you is determined by your travel needs. Southwest.com fares usually have limited quantities available. Group fares work best for parties of 10 or more who may require flexibility with name changes and payments. 

https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/group-travel

--Jessica