Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight that left me stranded on Christmas deducted from Refund

sradcliff90
Explorer C

When I inquired about when my flight would be refunded (its been 11 days, DOT says 7), the rep handling my case sent me this breakdown that deducted the cost of the first leg of the flight where Southwest left me stranded in Texas, no where near my destination OR my home, lost my bags, and told me I was on my own to figure it out from there... On Christmas, no less. 

I wasn't even supposed to get off the plane when we landed in Austin. It was just a connection, no layover. They unloaded us, promising us that a flight crew was on the way... They announced every step of communication with the flight crew that was coming for us (made contact, they're descending, they landed... the whole gate even stood up and applauded when they landed. The next announcement was that our flight was canceled). I've never been to Austin in my life. I was traveling alone. My final destination was New Orleans... 

I'm belly laughing at this point at the audacity of this company. They are really going to try to deduct money from my refund for the flight that got me in this mess in the first place? They never took me to New Orleans. Southwest left me stranded in a place I had no intention of going, lost my bags, threw me into a panic trying to figure out how to get out of there... and then has the guts to shamelessly try to deduct that leg of the trip from the refund I asked for....

Oh, and they deducted the cost of the flight to get me back to my home city. After the runaround Southwest had just put me through,  the least they could do is get me back home, right? Or nah? Not exactly what I would call "going above and beyond"... 

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 9.32.12 AM.png

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flight that left me stranded on Christmas deducted from Refund

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sometimes a little clarification on what happened is necessary.  When looking at your travel it probably appears you took off and therefore completed the first portion of your trip.  It seems that if you reply with clarifying facts and leave out non-factual feelings/thoughts it should be eligible for a refund.  State that the origination leg of your trip was not completed, you made it only to the first layover and no further and would like a refund for that portion of the trip in addition to the future legs which you were refunded. 

BTW, the DOT guidance is 7 business days.  If your flight was Dec 23-25, today is the 7th business day.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

There is no way that the people handling your complaint are "unaware" of the chaos and disaster that occurred over the holidays.  You didn't pay a fee to complete one leg of a trip, you paid for the entire trip.

Such nonsense is totally unacceptable.  This may be why people have lost patience with Southwest's inability to resolve these issues.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy cool rant, not sure how it helps the OP get their refund.  Thanks for your contribution to the conversation.

--TheMiddleSeat