Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight was cancelled and rebooked, I couldn't get through to cancel the new flight

xray328
Explorer C

Hey guys.  I was originally booked on a flight leaving Boston into Chicago on Monday. Due to the snow storm the flight was cancelled and automatically rebooked the next day.  Since I needed to get home that night I went ahead and rebooked with American.  I tried cancelling on the SWA website but it said I needed to call them.  So I called to cancel flight but they told me I was better off waiting to cancel until I got to Chicago in case the American flight didn't go out.  I did as advised and called as soon as I landed but the hold time was over 120 minutes.  The rebooked Southwest flight went out the next morning at 0500 central time so I wasn't able to cancel prior to the flight leaving.  I've tried calling several times since and every time the hold time is over 105 minutes.   I understand this is due to the weather issues and I'm not in a rush to resolve this but am I going to have any issues once I do finally get through to someone?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Flight was cancelled and rebooked, I couldn't get through to cancel the new flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Unless a policy exception is made, yes, you will have trouble since no showing a flight means you forfeit any funds related to it.  I would suggest contacting Southwest as soon as possible with a clear explanation of what happened and why you were unable to cancel the flight before it departed without you.  You can send a private message via Twitter or Facebook, or wait on hold for Customer Relations.  Note, it's Customer Relations and not the normal reservation folks.

Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat 

Re: Flight was cancelled and rebooked, I couldn't get through to cancel the new flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

In the future, remember that you can also contact the airline via Facebook, Twitter, and e-mail. That gives you a paper trail. The cell app "chat function" would have also been an option.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you have any difficulty getting a refund, provide screenshots of your phone's calls log, showing that you did try to contact Southwest in good faith.  Your best bet is to reach out to Customer Relations via Twitter or Facebook direct message, so that there's a paper trial.

Southwest CS has been slammed due to the weather all over the US, and the situation is exacerbated by the power issues in Texas.

gsking
Aviator C

Can't you cancel on the app? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Can't you cancel on the app? 

You can pretty much do everything via the app -- with one exception I am aware of: I've not found a way t book a multi city trip  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you're unable to cancel on the website it's unlikely you'd be able to on the app.