Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flights are so expensive this summer!

jksobonya
Aviator A

I'm planning a trip to Vegas July 7-10 from PHL, and I don't know if the whole world is also trying to go there now that mask mandates are being relaxed, but flights are unbelievably expensive. The cheapest roundtrip flight I can get for the dates I'm looking at is $625, and the next cheapest is $698. Each way is averaging $250 to $450. It's a major kick in the wallet. I don't want to use my points to book a flight because I'm trying to get A-List, but I *can't* justify paying $700 or more for one roundtrip flight to Vegas lol. 

There's also a fair amount of flights showing as "unavailable" which I'm not used to seeing. I don't know if that's a result of the recent schedule updates or just a ton of demand, but some flights are showing as unavailable for all 3 fare types: 

jksobonya_0-1621021449049.png

I remember not being happy when flights were averaging $400 roundtrip pre-pandemic. I'd gladly pay that in comparison to this!

--Jessica

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Flights are so expensive this summer!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

With the massive increase in supply of Hawaii flights it might be cheaper to fly there instead.

If you plan on winning $10k in Vegas what's the problem with a $400 flight?  lol

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

Ha! The problem with that is that I have to actually win ... lol ... on my last two Vegas trips, all I did was lose! Didn't win anything decent at all. Ironically, last summer when Vegas was a ghost town, I won back everything I played and then some. That luck has gone ... but who knows, maybe things will turn around in July 😉 

Anyway, flights are expensive is my point! Really really above average in price. It's not so bad in the fall, but man, June, July, and August, terrible.  

--Jessica

bec102896
Aviator A

I found just under $250 RT 

jksobonya
Aviator A

From Philly?! Where? 

--Jessica

bec102896
Aviator A

@jksobonya 

Just sent you a DM Here on the community. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

Thanks, got it! @bec102896 

--Jessica

bec102896
Aviator A

I think more people are starting to travel now since restrictions are being lifted and people are ready to go on vacation. 

I also think prices are higher as airlines are trying to make a little money back after months of no revenue. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I think more people are starting to travel now since restrictions are being lifted and people are ready to go on vacation. 

I also think prices are higher as airlines are trying to make a little money back after months of no revenue. 

Yeah, I tried to mentally prepare for flights to be higher, but this is kind of crazy. But I do stand corrected, August flights are a bit cheaper ... I think the June/July timeframe is where they try to get you. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

have you thought of booking 2 multicity   tickets thru Midway ? you would get 4 flight credits

to help you get to A List