Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flights are so expensive this summer!

jksobonya
Rising Star

I'm planning a trip to Vegas July 7-10 from PHL, and I don't know if the whole world is also trying to go there now that mask mandates are being relaxed, but flights are unbelievably expensive. The cheapest roundtrip flight I can get for the dates I'm looking at is $625, and the next cheapest is $698. Each way is averaging $250 to $450. It's a major kick in the wallet. I don't want to use my points to book a flight because I'm trying to get A-List, but I *can't* justify paying $700 or more for one roundtrip flight to Vegas lol. 

There's also a fair amount of flights showing as "unavailable" which I'm not used to seeing. I don't know if that's a result of the recent schedule updates or just a ton of demand, but some flights are showing as unavailable for all 3 fare types: 

jksobonya_0-1621021449049.png

I remember not being happy when flights were averaging $400 roundtrip pre-pandemic. I'd gladly pay that in comparison to this!

--Jessica

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Flights are so expensive this summer!

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

With the massive increase in supply of Hawaii flights it might be cheaper to fly there instead.

If you plan on winning $10k in Vegas what's the problem with a $400 flight?  lol

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Rising Star

Ha! The problem with that is that I have to actually win ... lol ... on my last two Vegas trips, all I did was lose! Didn't win anything decent at all. Ironically, last summer when Vegas was a ghost town, I won back everything I played and then some. That luck has gone ... but who knows, maybe things will turn around in July 😉 

Anyway, flights are expensive is my point! Really really above average in price. It's not so bad in the fall, but man, June, July, and August, terrible.  

--Jessica

bec102896
Top Contributor

I found just under $250 RT 

jksobonya
Rising Star

From Philly?! Where? 

--Jessica

bec102896
Top Contributor

@jksobonya 

Just sent you a DM Here on the community. 

jksobonya
Rising Star

Thanks, got it! @bec102896 

--Jessica

bec102896
Top Contributor

I think more people are starting to travel now since restrictions are being lifted and people are ready to go on vacation. 

I also think prices are higher as airlines are trying to make a little money back after months of no revenue. 

jksobonya
Rising Star

@bec102896 wrote:

I think more people are starting to travel now since restrictions are being lifted and people are ready to go on vacation. 

I also think prices are higher as airlines are trying to make a little money back after months of no revenue. 

Yeah, I tried to mentally prepare for flights to be higher, but this is kind of crazy. But I do stand corrected, August flights are a bit cheaper ... I think the June/July timeframe is where they try to get you. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Top Contributor

have you thought of booking 2 multicity   tickets thru Midway ? you would get 4 flight credits

to help you get to A List