Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Forced flight changes common practice?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@swa-suck-it wrote:

I didn’t post, but I’ll answer.  You’re completely wrong 😑.  Where did you find your information?

Airlines (all of them) routinely move (force using your terminology) passengers to different flight hundreds or thousands of times a day. Flights get cancelled, smaller planes end up substituting for larger planes,etc.

Airlines don't provide compensation  when they do this.

if you don't like what you've been moved to, Southwest lets you move to a flight you think is better for you. If there is not one, Southwest lets you request a refund to your original form of payment.

swa-suck-it
Explorer A

My terminology?  I don’t think so.   Where did you get your info?

swa-suck-it
Explorer A

Are you qualified to make legitimate comments about all other airlines?

bec102896
Aviator A

@swa-suck-it wrote:

Are you qualified to make legitimate comments about all other airlines?

I've had flights with Southwest, Delta, United, and Frontier during covid and all have had schedule changes before and during travel this will happen when covid is gone and years later too because stuff happens with all airlines if a major change happens you can reach out to them for help to get a better flight each airline has a different policy on major change. 

swa-suck-it
Explorer A

Your anecdotes aren’t helpful.  People should be permitted to have some control over their lives, and the reason for these multiple changes is to make sure they get maximum money.  
As a physician who has been traveling to care for critical care patients in places with need, I have found their service atrocious, and their excuses to be ridiculous.

swa-suck-it
Explorer A

007 - I’ll use YOUR terminology:

Not sure why people go through all that trouble and time to post something, yet never return to reply to responses.

Why don’t you respond 007???

Tbonney4
Explorer C

I agree with everything you said. Southwest Airlines has turned into crooks. My return flight from Vegas was changed from a 3 hour direct flight to a 6.5 hour connecting flight in LA. Then it was changed a 2nd time to a 7 hr and 15 2 stops connecting in Salt Lake City Utah and Denver.  My flight is returning to Midway in Chicago. This is ridiculous. My flights were booked back in May and SW notified me in August. Weeks later they still were selling direct flights to Vegas for a lot more money. They are changing people flights because they over sold the plane. I’m sure the people who paid the lowest fares are the one whose flight got changed. This should be illegal. Needless to say I’m forced to cancel my flight to Vegas.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Tbonney4 wrote:

. They are changing people flights because they over sold the plane. I’m sure the people who paid the lowest fares are the one whose flight got changed. This should be illegal. Needless to say I’m forced to cancel my flight to Vegas.
1) if Southwest changes
your flight, Southwest allows you to change ( at no cost) to a better flight if one has seats available regardless of the cost of those seats

2) Southwest DOES NOT overbook flights. It stopped doing that years ago. Now if some has a seat on a plane that seats175 people, and the airline, for whatever reason, has to use a smaller plane, then the airline would potentially have to rebook some passengers, but this is not overbooking

psaadallah
Explorer C

This is a real problem, and it doesn't seem to be fair.  I recently experienced this for the first time ever in all the years I have been flying for business or leisure.  I certainly understand that flights change and sometimes flights are cancelled due to COVID, but I've found that what has happened to my flight itinerary is not that simple.  My sisters and I booked flights to California, and we had to coordinate since we are coming from different parts of the country.  A couple of months ago we got changes to our itineraries.  We all had to make changes so that we were once again arriving at the same time.  Over the next few weeks we continued to get notifications of changes.  We decided to wait to make changes or we would be changing our flights constantly.  Finally with two weeks to go until our flight we got on a conference call to re-coordinate our flights.  In looking at our original itineraries we discovered that none of our original flights/times had been cancelled, we had simply been bumped to less desirable flights - i.e. we were now on multiple connections instead of our original nonstop flight.  AND, when we tried to change to better flights so we could arrive at the same time, those new flights were more expensive, so now we would have to pay more to get a comparable flight to what we had already booked and paid for.  After an hour of trying to configure our flights, I hopped on American Airlines and found non-stop flights for only a little more than it was going to cost us to "upgrade" to better flights on Southwest (with no guarantee they wouldn't continue to mess with our flights).  So, we cancelled our Southwest flight for credits and booked on American.  What a mess!  Why is Southwest allowed to bump me from a flight that I have paid for and put me on a different flight that does not fit with my original flight plan?  Those of you who are belittling those of us having this problem need to beware.  Next time you think you have a trip planned - you may get a big surprise at the last minute.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@psaadallah wrote:

.  What a mess!  Why is Southwest allowed to bump me from a flight that I have paid for and put me on a different flight that does not fit with my original flight plan?  Those of you who are belittling those of us having this problem need to beware.  Next time you think you have a trip planned - you may get a big surprise at the last minute.

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you.

All airlines find a need to sometimes move passengers to different flights - not just Southwest. I just had American change itinerary on a points flight I booked for friend on American. A few years back I had a delta flight that I booked a year in advance. It changed my  flights 8 times before my departure date. The alternative would be to just cancel your itinerary and let you figure it out yourself.

Southwest  had no way to know that you were coordinating  with others.

If it had been me, I would have contacted customer service, explained the situation, and asked to change the flights -- but that is just me.