Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

GOOD FAITH REFUNDS FOR COVID-19 ON SOUTHWEST

luvswa123456
Explorer B

PLEASE  OFFER REFUNDS FOR PASSENGERS WHO WANT SUCH INSTEAD OF BULLYING PEOPLE WHO RARELY TRAVEL AND MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO USE THE TRAVEL FUNDS!  SOUTHWEST IS BEING A BULLY AND THAT IS NOT GOOD FAITH!  THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ARE HURTING REAL BAD WHILE SOUTHWEST AIRLINES IS SITTING ON MILLIONS WHILE PURSUING MILLIONS MORE FROM THE GOVERNMENT!  TO CLAIM A TECHNICALITY WHILE FLYING EMPTY PLANES DURING A PANDEMIC IS ABSURD! SHAME ON SOUTHWEST! REFUND ANY AND ALL FARES IF REQUESTED OR FOREGO GOVERNMENT BAILOUTS!

AND STOP LETTING YOUR COMMENTORS BULLY OTHER COMMENTORS!  

40 REPLIES 40

Re: GOOD FAITH REFUNDS FOR COVID-19 ON SOUTHWEST

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

If your flight was canceled by Southwest, you have a few options: you can rebook your flight, get travel funds, or ask for a refund. You need to contact them and ask (but you should have received an e-mail with this information). 

If *you* canceled your flight, not Southwest, your options are to rebook or get travel funds, which are good until *2022*. Let us know what other questions you may have.

Thanks,

Jessica

luvswa123456
Explorer B

A GOVERNMENT LOCK DOWN WAS AND IS IN EFFECT!

THE FARE IS TWICE AS MUCH AS WHEN BOOKED BEFORE.

HAVING TO SPEND AN EXTRA $124 TO BOOK THE SAME FLIGHT IS NOT EXACTLY A FAIR SOULTION.  

bahnisikha3474
Explorer C

Did you get any resolution to your complaints? Did you file a lawsuit or join any of the other class action suits against southwest?

csteinmetz
Explorer C

It doesn't do any good to get travel funds if where you now live doesn't have Southwest at their airport!!

srlibby
Explorer C

Hello, I have a reservation that has fallen in the cracks.  I have travel funds that are set to expire on September 26, 2020.  I canceled this reservation on March 1, 2020, it was for travel at the end of March, 2020.  Because I canceled BEFORE Southwest's schedule of allowable COVID-19 cancellation, and because this travel date is AFTER Southwest's schedule of allowable time to use travel funds (September 9th, 2020) - Southwest will NOT extend the use of these funds through 2022 or even through 2021.  They will not budge on these funds $508.00) needing to be used by September 26, 2020.  I don't think that is fair or realistic, and I am VERY unhappy about losing this money because I don't feel safe flying at this time.  IF things are back to normal in September, I will not be able, jobwise, to travel in September.  I need an extension.  I am a good customer and hope that Southwest can extend these funds' expiration date.  

bec102896
Aviator A

@srlibby wrote:

Hello, I have a reservation that has fallen in the cracks.  I have travel funds that are set to expire on September 26, 2020.  I canceled this reservation on March 1, 2020, it was for travel at the end of March, 2020.  Because I canceled BEFORE Southwest's schedule of allowable COVID-19 cancellation, and because this travel date is AFTER Southwest's schedule of allowable time to use travel funds (September 9th, 2020) - Southwest will NOT extend the use of these funds through 2022 or even through 2021.  They will not budge on these funds $508.00) needing to be used by September 26, 2020.  I don't think that is fair or realistic, and I am VERY unhappy about losing this money because I don't feel safe flying at this time.  IF things are back to normal in September, I will not be able, jobwise, to travel in September.  I need an extension.  I am a good customer and hope that Southwest can extend these funds' expiration date.  

You could book another reservation for say late May then cancel it a few minutes later then it should qualify as a new travel fund created because the customer cancels *it can take up to 5 days for the expiration date to update in your view travel funds page on the southwest app/website.

I would try and find a flight for as close to $508 as you can so you don't lose as much money. When you cancel the new flight that confirmation number will be what you use for your travel funds when you book a flight and travel with the next 2 years. 

-Blake

bahnisikha3474
Explorer C

Jessica, are you a southwest employee? Was this information correct?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bahnisikha3474 wrote:

Jessica, are you a southwest employee? Was this information correct?

Jessica is not is Southwest employee. Southwest employees self identify as employees.

not sure what information you are referring to. If it was the one about turning in travel funds and getting new ones that expire in 2022, that program ended last December.

bahnisikha3474
Explorer C

I had a flight for April 2020 and canceled it in February 2020 due to the pandemic. I reached out to them in April 2020 to see if there was a possibility of a cash refund. They denied that but replied saying that they are working on policy changes that would extend my funds till 2022. They never got back to me and now when I reached out to them, they responded saying that my funds have expired as they only extended flights canceled from March 1st. It is extremely shady and unprofessional how this business was carried out. They keep sending me stereotypical messages like 'we are sorry for the misinformation provided to you by our agent but we can't refund the full ticket amount. Here is a good faith voucher of 80$ for each passenger'.  It is absolutely awful how they first stole my funds by providing me misinformation and then they have the audacity to patronize me and condescendingly give me a 'keep your mouth shut' voucher. My ticket costs were >500$ and now when I can finally plan a trip after getting vaccinated, they are taking it away from me. Let's not forget that they actually got bailed out by the government and could not reciprocate the same generosity towards its customers in a time the entire world came crashing down.  The true character of any business becomes apparent in these times. This has caused me a big deal of emotional duress and I will escalate the matter the best I can.