Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gift Cards

kimmyferrari
Explorer C

Why does SW get to provide travel vouchers that expire instead of a gift card that does not expire for flights that SW cancels or changes, especially when I've booked a refundable business class fare????

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Gift Cards

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you had a refundable ticket you should tell SW that you wanted a refund

You are entitled to one

kimmyferrari
Explorer C

I did. The terms and conditions of the gift card make them non-refundable; even though the SW website clearly states "refundable to original form of payment". 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Here's more information from

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/refund-info-pol.html

If your reservation is no longer active or you canceled a refundable fare that was converted into Travel Funds and you would like a refund instead:

Call us at 1-800-435-9792

Write our Refunds Department:

Southwest Airlines

Refunds Department

P.O. Box 36649

Dallas, Texas 75235-1649

BTW, Southwest does not have a business class product. Business Select fares offer refundability, ealry boarding, and a few other perks, but the actual flight experience is the same. 

--TheMiddleSeat

kimmyferrari
Explorer C

Ok, I booked "business select" not business class. Thanks for the clarification. Nonetheless, it was supposed to be REFUNDABLE.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, if you've purchased with a gift card, your "refund" will be in the form of travel funds -- even on fully refundable fares. The gift card terms override the fare ones.

This is one of the multiple reasons I never recommend Southwest gift cards.

That said, if you push the matter you may be able to receive the refund on a gift card. It's rare, but it's been reported. I'd recommend using Twitter direct message, and clearly state that you had purchased a Business Select fare and would like a refund on a gift card.

Good luck.

kimmyferrari
Explorer C

I'm giving the Twitter route a try, thank you!

MalfStape
Explorer C

I usually choose the companies with birthday certificates, especially those which you can use despite the date.