Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hawaii Safe Travels Desk for flights from SJC to LIH?

ejchu7
Explorer C

Hi, 

Does anyone know if Southwest has a Hawaii Safe Travels desk to pre-screen passengers flying from SJC  to LIH  in San Jose, CA?  This is where, once the traveler has shown the proper Hawaii Safe Travels documentation,  will provide the wristbands that give expedited entry upon landing in Kauai?  THANKS!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hawaii Safe Travels Desk for flights from SJC to LIH?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The process is handled online now and is not location dependent, you get a QR code instead of a wristband. More information can be found here:

https://www.southwest.com/coronavirus/hawaii/

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

The process is handled online now and is not location dependent, you get a QR code instead of a wristband. More information can be found here:

https://www.southwest.com/coronavirus/hawaii/

--TheMiddleSeat

I think there's some confusion here regarding the Hawaii Safe Travels program and Hawaii Pre-Clear.

Safe Travels is the state program where you upload your test or vax information and when approved receive a barcode.

Pre-Clear is the state and airline partnership program where you show that barcode at your departure airport and receive a wristband, eliminating the need to wait in line at your destination.

Background: Hawaiian airports were overwhelmed with arriving passengers and asked the airlines to help ease that burden. Carriers didn't reduce flights but they did stagger them more (slightly) and they partnered with Hawaii to take over some of the state screening function.

[edited to clarify confusion was also in original post]

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The OP asked about Safe Travels ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

The OP asked about Safe Travels ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--TheMiddleSeat

LOL. Did you read the entire post? It's really clear what they are asking.

Helpful > Pedantic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But fair enough, I did edit my reply to clarify confusion began in the original post. 😉

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@ejchu7 wrote:

Hi, 

Does anyone know if Southwest has a Hawaii Safe Travels desk to pre-screen passengers flying from SJC  to LIH  in San Jose, CA?  This is where, once the traveler has shown the proper Hawaii Safe Travels documentation,  will provide the wristbands that give expedited entry upon landing in Kauai?  THANKS!

According to this article from April, yes -- Southwest is offering Hawaii Pre-Clear at all the airports from which they have non-stop service to Hawaii. (I unfortunately don't have any recent experience that can confirm however.)

[edited to add]

I just saw a comment on another forum that verified Hawaii Pre-Clear is available at San Jose airport. The SJC Airport website confirms this:

sjc.jpg

Hope this helps!

MNhappy
Explorer A
Solution

I flew Southwest SJC to LIH in June. At the time, there were 2 people with ipads that showed up about an hour and a half before the flight in the walkway. A line began forming even before they showed up. Quick process. Don't delay getting in the line. A person near us on the plane just missed getting their wristband when the line cut off.