Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How much baggage is included in my Wanna Get Away fare?

jairo_goldy
Explorer C

Sorry if this has been posted/asked already, but I still cannot figure out how many bags are included in my "Wanna Get Away" fare... it says that the first and second checked bags are included "free" in it, but, is that all I can bring with me on the plane? is the personal item and/or the carry on baggage not included in it? if I happened to need to travel with more bags where can I buy/upgrade them? and how much would it cost me per bag? I already found the Baggage Policy page, but I guess that my questions can quite not be answered with that information already provided.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Re: How much baggage is included in my Wanna Get Away fare?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

The carry on limit is very strict: “Carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item. Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches.” No exceptions here. 

The info from the more “detailed” baggage allowance page answers most of your questions: 

Excess Baggage

Each piece of baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance specified above that is not in excess of 62 inches (L+W+H) and 50 lbs. or less will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Weight and Size Allowance

Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs.  Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

———————————

Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the TSA or TSA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC). For full details about shipping cargo, visit www.swacargo.com.

So you get you carry on items PLUS two free checked bags, as long as they are under 50 lbs and the size restrictions. Beyond that, you pay $75 per extra checked bag. How many extra they will allow is not exactly specified, but I have a feeling it is at the discretion of the airline.

Simply: two carry on items, two free checked bags, pay per items after that. 

If you want to find out if there is an official max to the number of checked items allowed, you can reach out to SW directly using a Contact Us method below. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder