Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to make use of expiring LUV Voucher?

Matt4202
Adventurer A

I have a LUV Voucher expiring in a couple weeks for $200 I will not be able to travel by then.

I know SW will convert travel fund to a LUV Voucher with a 6 month expiration for a $100 fee ( fee currently waived 6/1-12/31 is my understanding).

However, my understanding is that if I use the LUV Voucher for a reservation then cancel it I cannot request the travel funds created from that be converted as it was originally a LUV Voucher. Is this correct?

The LUV Voucher I have was from a customer service issue (flight issue) with a 1 year expiration.

Any Advice on options?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How to make use of expiring LUV Voucher?

dfwskier
Aviator A

I am not absolutely certain of this but...

1) I am only aware of one type of travel fund - so one created by cancelling a flight paid for by voucher looks no different than any other TF

2) If true, that should mean that if you use the voucher to buy a flight and then cancel that flight that you'll get a TF with the same expiration date as the original voucher

3) Which then would allow you to convert back to a voucher in the way you described

Others: feel free to disagree if I am incorrect.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

I’m told (in the past) that there’s 2 types of Luv Vouchers.

1) Created for missing baggage or other flight issues

2) Created in exchange for travel funds

I feel like I’ve been told in the past that travel funds that were previously LUV vouchers aren’t not eligible to trade in to create a new LUV Voucher. But hoping I’m wrong.

I’m waiting to try because if I can’t I’d likely gift them to a friend or family member who can travel by that date rather then letting them die completely.

dfwskier
Aviator A

The point I was trying to make is that I don't think SW has a way of identifying TFs created as a result using a voucher versus   TFs created by any combination of TFs and cash.

I do know that if you cancel a flight paid for at least in part by a voucher, and then cancel that flight, that you will get a TF back and not a voucher.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Feel free to DM the voucher info 😁

--TheMiddleSeat

Matt4202
Adventurer A

8675309 is the voucher number

bec102896
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

8675309 is the voucher number

Is the passenger named Jenny?