Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I will need to change the form of ID for a ticket i'm purchasing for someone else....

Yzguy
Explorer A

I'm buying tickets for myself, hubby, son and his girlfriend.  The 3 of us have passports, she does not.  She will need to get an enhanced drivers license (trip is in November this year) or a passport.  If I book her now with her current drivers license, will it be a pain for her to use new type of ID?  Do I update Southwest before we are to fly or can she just present her new ID when we arrive at check in?  I did try to call, the hold time was very very long.  I thought maybe someone on her might know the answer.  Thanks everyone.

Yzguy

3 REPLIES 3

Re: I will need to change the form of ID for a ticket i'm purchasing for someone else....

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

The TSA has postponed the requirement for Real ID again until May 3, 2023. She can fly with a regular driver's license.

Re: I will need to change the form of ID for a ticket i'm purchasing for someone else....

Yzguy
Explorer A
Spoiler
OMGosh! I missed that!  Thanks so much.  You have saved the day here. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Additionally, assuming you are flying domestically it's TSA, not Southwest that requires the ID and they do not need to be told what ID you will be using. Here are the acceptable forms of ID for TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Flying without an ID is also possible:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/i-forgot-my-identification-can-i-still-proceed...

Southwest does look to see if your name matches an ID if you are checking bags, but I suspect that is still somewhat optionally if push came to shove.

You mentioned son and girlfriend...  if either are under 18 no ID is required to fly domestically.  If you are flying internationally all individuals regardless of age must use a passport.

--TheMiddleSeat