Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

If I upgrade my Wanna Get Away Ticket to Anytime and then cancel, will the upgrade fee be refunded?

jennamcclain
Explorer C

I've got a round trip ticket booked to MCO in a few weeks. I've run into some uncertainty in other areas of the trip and realized my plane ticket wasn't refundable, so I was considering upgrading from Wanna Get Away to Anytime in case I needed to cancel my flight and catch one with another airline. Only issue is that Anytime would roughly be an additional $250 on top of my $280 ticket. 

I know Anytime is refundable, but if I pay $250 to upgrade and then have to cancel my flight, will I only get the original ticket price of $280 back? Or would I also get the $250 upgrade fee refunded?

Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: If I upgrade my Wanna Get Away Ticket to Anytime and then cancel, will the upgrade fee be refund

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@jennamcclain wrote:

I've got a round trip ticket booked to MCO in a few weeks. I've run into some uncertainty in other areas of the trip and realized my plane ticket wasn't refundable, so I was considering upgrading from Wanna Get Away to Anytime in case I needed to cancel my flight and catch one with another airline. Only issue is that Anytime would roughly be an additional $250 on top of my $280 ticket. 

I know Anytime is refundable, but if I pay $250 to upgrade and then have to cancel my flight, will I only get the original ticket price of $280 back? Or would I also get the $250 upgrade fee refunded?

Thank you. 

The opposite: the $250 new money would be refundable and the original $280 would be issued as a travel fund if you cancel.

The only other suggestion would be if you have any other firm travel coming up, cancel the original ticket and re-book it for the later flight, then buy a new Anytime ticket in case you cancel this current trip.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: If I upgrade my Wanna Get Away Ticket to Anytime and then cancel, will the upgrade fee be refund

dfwskier
Aviator A

Or simply wait to see if you have to cancel the fight. If you do cancel, That gives you a $280 travel fund that you could use any time you want.

jahillia
Explorer C

I have the same question and want to make sure I understand, if that's ok...

I booked a Wanna Get Away Plus and may have to cancel. If I cancelled, I would get just flight credit, correct? If I upgraded to Anytime and had to cancel, I would only received the additional fare for the Anytime upgrade and still only received flight credit for the original trip? Is that correct?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jahillia wrote:

I have the same question and want to make sure I understand, if that's ok...

See the post from Dancing David earlier in the thread.