Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

It'll be interesting to see how much fares drop after the holidays in January

dfwskier
Aviator A

For the routes I fly, the fares are 200% of January 2022 rates and 150% of the early December 2022 rates  -- and that is after the 40% drop from where they were a month and a half ago..

IMO, Flyers won't pay that much in low demand January and early February. Load factors will suffer.

Glad I loaded up during the last REAL fare sale in early October.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: It'll be interesting to see how much fares drop after the holidays in January

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's so nice now that travel credits do not expire.  There's no worry about booking high and then having to use credit before it expires.  Just keep an eye on everything and re-price.

I'm also curious if the large number of promotional companion passes will keep loads high.  Give away 2 for 1 coupons, but charge twice as much for the one paid seat?  Might be part of the strategy.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: It'll be interesting to see how much fares drop after the holidays in January

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

I'm also curious if the large number of promotional companion passes will keep loads high.  Give away 2 for 1 coupons, but charge twice as much for the one paid seat?  Might be part of the strategy.

--TheMiddleSeat

Hadn't thought of that, but maybe. If that's part of the strategy, then maybe it hopes people  won't look at re pricing

DAL/MDW January thru 2/15 price on 2/2022  $49

DAL/MDW 12/15/22 price $69

DAL/MDW January 2023 price as of October thru early December $163

DAL/MDW January 2023 price as of today $99

floridaguy
Aviator C

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

hopefully alot

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

I have a flight to Florida booked in February and the fare has dropped 3 times since I made the reservation in late October. Keep checking the website. Flights sometimes drop in price for only  a few days then go higher again. Also remember if you have a round-trip reservation and the price drops on only one leg, you can do a change on that leg only.

bec102896
Aviator A

Yeah a couple I have noticed AUS/MCO had $60-$99 fares now $163 plus 

AUS/FLL $49 now $173 

gsking
Aviator C

I stocked up as well.  But I haven't found any use for my promo CPs yet.  I had the same thought about wondering what the prices will be when I finally find some place to go on the weekends. 

JanicePals
Explorer C

I am also curious to know.

Je suis aussi curieux de savoir. Au fait, si vous avez besoin de gagner de l'argent, visitez ce link où vous trouverez les jeux grâce auxquels vous pouvez gagner de l'argent. Je suis sûr que vous ne regretterez pas votre décision en visitant ce lien de site Web.

LawsuitforSW
Adventurer C

You couldn't pay me to fly southwest again. Made it home today on a Delta flight without incident. They were paying people $1000 each in Visa gift cards and free hotel stay to give up their seats that's how bad it has gotten.This was at DTW.