Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV BOUCHER

npbeca13
Explorer C

Hello all, 

I ave a LUV boucher for $100, its expiration dat e is 1 OCT 2020. It says in it that "travel should be completed by the expiration date". Are there gonna be any extensions for us to be able to use them even after the expiration date?   I don't plan on traveling before then due to COVID 19.

thank you so much!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: LUV BOUCHER

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

The best thing to do is to book a flight and cancel before September 7th you can book any flight and try to find a flight that will use all of your voucher (keep in mind vouchers won’t cover taxes) I would find a flight for about $130 (assuring the taxes is $30 for that flight) that way when you cancel the taxes can be refunded to your credit card as long as you cancel within 24 hours from booking the $100 voucher will be held as a travel fund for the person you book for and overnight those funds will be extended until September 7th 2022 at that point you can keep the funds or whoever you book the flight for can turn the funds in to rapid reward points which don’t expire and those points can be used to book a flight for anyone. You can book a flight for any date up until your voucher expires just Ben sure to book and cancel before September 7th for this extension to work and remember once the voucher is used those funds must be used by the ticketed passenger or that passenger can turn the funds to points which can then be used on anyone. 

-Blake 

npbeca13
Explorer C

Blake, 

I am deeply thankful for your reply! I honestly do not find the taxes, I would have to pay them either way so yeeey!

Will try this today. Thank you so much 🌸 

bec102896
Aviator A

It should show you the taxes once you select your flight once you book and immediately cancel the taxes become refundable as long as you cancel within 24 hours. the taxes is key so that you get the whole voucher to apply for example a flight that is $101 will have more than $1 in taxes so you will lose some of the LUV voucher because it will only apply to the airfare. 

-Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The best way to handle this is to convert your voucher into a travel fund. The downside is the travel fund can only be used by you versus a voucher can be used by anyone. To do the conversation use the voucher to book a flight for yourself then immediately cancel the flight. Since you have a $100 voucher, book a flight close to $100 such as one of these:

DEN-DAL Aug 27 620am $98

DEN-DAL Aug 27 750am $105

If you look more you might find a $99 or $100 flight. 

When you cancel the flight you will receive a travel fund in the amount of the cancelled flight. That travel fund expires in September 2022 so you have until then to complete travel.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Of course @bec102896 beat me to it and I forgot about the taxes so he's definitely more correct than I am.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Yep, that Blake is sharp and always on the ball.  

npbeca13
Explorer C

Thank you Middle Seat! 🌸

One last question, are you refunded everything when you cancel? 

For example if I get that flight for $100 + lets say $30 of taxes. 

Would the travel fund be $130?

Thank you both!!! 🌸

bec102896
Aviator A

@npbeca13 wrote:

Thank you Middle Seat! 🌸

One last question, are you refunded everything when you cancel? 

For example if I get that flight for $100 + lets say $30 of taxes. 

Would the travel fund be $130?

Thank you both!!! 🌸

If you cancel within 24 hours of booking you can have the amount paid on a Credit card (for the taxes) refunded to that credit card and the $100 voucher will be a travel fund under the confirmation number that you book and immediately cancel. 

npbeca13
Explorer C

Hello!!!

Me again, your advice helped and I bought and cancelled my flight yesterday. I payed around 30 bucks in taxes, do you know if I should call them in order to have that money refunded? 

thank you!