Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV Voucher Expiring Options

Carolyn3
Explorer C

I have LUV Vouchers that are expiring. I am not able to travel right now. I read that someone said that you use the LUV Vouchers to purchase a "fake flight". Then, you cancel the reservation and it turns into non-expiring credit. 

Is this accurate? I thought when you cancel a flight it always goes back to the original source of payment. In my case, it would be a voucher that expires in March. 

I've looked in multiple areas and am running out of energy to find the answer.

Please help! 

24 REPLIES 24

Re: LUV Voucher Expiring Options

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

That is what you should do. You will receive non-expiring travel credit after canceling a reservation paid for with a voucher. Book WGA+ fare if you want to be able to transfer the credit later on. Book WGA if you don't need to transfer. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Carolyn3
Explorer C

Thank you very much! So if my goal is to have the most flexibility, wouldn't I pick the WGA+? It seems like there is no harm done by picking that option since I plan on canceling it anyway. As long as I pick a flight that is very close to my voucher amount in that category, I shouldn't lose anything. Correct?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Correct 

--TheMiddleSeat

Carolyn3
Explorer C

One more question...

What are the benefits of having a LUV Voucher vs unexpired travel credits that can be transferred to anyone?

It seems like one should probably just do your suggestion right away so they don't forget that their Voucher expires.

Trying to think of the negative of having the unexpired travel credits vs a voucher.

If I book with travel credits and I need to cancel, do they come back as travel credits with no expiration?

Thank you!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

The only reason I can think of to not convert a voucher to travel credit immediately is you are 100% certain you will use the voucher before it expires and have no desire to go through the extra step of buying a flight and then cancelling it.  Holding it as a voucher also gives you the ability to "transfer" the value as many times as you want while WGA+ is limited to one transfer.

*"transfer" voucher = emailing someone the number and security code

If I book with travel credits and I need to cancel, do they come back as travel credits with no expiration?

Yes

--TheMiddleSeat

Carolyn3
Explorer C

Wow! You have been a great help!

Lightcs
Explorer C

Hi The Middle Seat… I have a $200 Luv voucher. I am reserving a ticket in Aug 2023 for a wedding. If by chance something happens and I need to cancel it my understanding is if I reserve under the wga+ and I end of canceling it within 24 hrs the “voucher” gets transferred to a flight credit but the taxes I paid with my credit card gets refunded back to me correct? or does the entire ticket get refunded as a travel credit? That is what I am confused about. Thank you

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Lightcs I believe you would have the option to have the taxes refunded back to the method of payment or held as travel credits. I will actually defer to @bec102896, he uses far more vouchers than I do.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@Lightcs 

WGA+ tickets are still considered a non refundable ticket so if you cancel the taxes would also be held as travel funds if you cancel outside of the 24 hour rule. 

Vouchers don’t cover taxes unless you book a flight pay the taxes then immediately cancel and request a refund to CC of taxes then you rebook with travel funds and the voucher as travel funds cover taxes