Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV Voucher extension

Is771683
Explorer C

Hello! Sorry if this topic has already been discussed. I was given two SW. luv vouchers that expire January 27, 2021.

As others have noted, Southwest will not provide an extension on their luv vouchers.

Is there a workaround to get my vouchers extended? I have $300 in vouchers and I haven’t been traveling due to Covid but would like to travel in the next few months. I would hate to see this $300 go to waste. I have seen others post that they booked a flight using their voucher, canceled the flight and the voucher was turned into travel funds. Others said that that was not the case. Does anyone know for sure? 

9 REPLIES 9

LUV Voucher extension

SWFlyer007
Aviator C
@Is771683   Since there have been different answers and outcomes to this topic, the only way to know for sure would be to contact SWA customer service asap for yourself.  If it was a flight adjustment by SWA, I think you have a chance of getting the results you want.  

Southwest Airlines/Customer service

1 (800) 435-9792

SWFlyer007_0-1609266793267.png

Feedback
Web results

Contact Customer Relations - The Southwest Airlines ...
community.southwest.com › Knowledge-Base › ta-p

The Customer Relations/Rapid Rewards Department is specialized to assist Customers with escalated concerns, most often following their travel. For assistance ...

Re: LUV Voucher extension

Is771683
Explorer C

I reached out via Facebook and was told they will not be extending the voucher. I doubt if I called them they would offer me a work around lol 

bec102896
Aviator A

Do you have any family or friends that could use the vouchers? If so the LUV vouchers can be used to book travel for anyone of course the travel must be completed by the expiration date. 

rich1954
Adventurer A

I am in a similar situation. I used my voucher plus credit card to book a flight. I later had to cancel due to covid concerns in CA. I called to cancel and money went into my travel funds which expire March 1. They told me to call on March 2nd and they could extend the travel funds for 6 months.

It looks like the voucher and funds were combined into one lump sum in my account.

Is771683
Explorer C

So you booked with a luv voucher and then cancelled the flight and it was turned into funds with a new expiration date? 

rich1954
Adventurer A

No- I did not get a new expiration date but the funds are now one lump sum  and not broken up as one part voucher and the other part travel funds. Hopefully they will extend the total 6 more months when I call. The person I spoke to at SW said they would.

Is771683
Explorer C

Sorry kind of confused. Did the luv voucher and the existing travel funds have the same expiration date or something? What was the original expiration date of the voucher? And it has the same expiration date now? But it is just called a travel fund instead?

rich1954
Adventurer A

My original voucher was $100 with expiration date of 3/1/21. I booked a flight that cost more than the voucher and paid the difference with my credit card. I had to cancel the other day so now I have the $100 plus the additional costs which was $42 converted to travel funds in my account that expire 3/1/21. There is $142 travel funds in my account, when I call after 3/1/21 SW hopefully will give me a 6 month extension. 

Is771683
Explorer C

Ahh ok got it thanks for the explanation!