Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV Voucher turn into Travel Credit?

Feesh
Explorer C

Hi!

I have a current flight book to use my expiring LUV Voucher in Aug 2022. If I were to cancel the flight, would I be issued a Travel Fund? I would like to extend the life of my credit, especially since the announcement of funds not having an expiration date. So if I were to cancel and receive a travel fund instead it should follow the new policy, correct?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: LUV Voucher turn into Travel Credit?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Someone needs to be the first to try it.  Let us know how it goes.

The only disadvantage I can think of is you lock in the name of a specific passenger for the travel credit while a voucher can be used by anyone. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Someone needs to be the first to try it.  Let us know how it goes.

The only disadvantage I can think of is you lock in the name of a specific passenger for the travel credit while a voucher can be used by anyone. 

--TheMiddleSeat

If you book WGA+ it would be transferable so name not locked in when you use voucher as long (as a RR account exists) 

robynne
Explorer C

As of a couple of weeks ago, Luv vouchers no longer expire. Shouldn't be an issue for you. 

ClaudiaQ54
Explorer C

They do expire. I just copied this off their website 

No. A Southwest LUV Voucher is issued by Southwest® and can be applied toward a future flight. However, Southwest LUV Vouchers have an expiration

date by which travel must be booked and flown. Additionally, Southwest LUV Vouchers cannot be applied toward government-imposed charges and fees.

Flight credits don't expire LUV vouchers do

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Following!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

ClaudiaQ54
Explorer C

I did it 2 weeks ago and canceled the flight this week.

The LUV vouchers is now a travel credit .  Yippee  !

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Feesh wrote:

Hi!

I have a current flight book to use my expiring LUV Voucher in Aug 2022. If I were to cancel the flight, would I be issued a Travel Fund? I would like to extend the life of my credit, especially since the announcement of funds not having an expiration date. So if I were to cancel and receive a travel fund instead it should follow the new policy, correct?

Thanks!

If you have already booked the flight then that's your pathway, canceling the flight now will give you a travel credit. 

If you are considering booking a flight that you might cancel, as mentioned below consider the WGA+ fare to retain some flexibility with who can use the travel credit.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ClaudiaQ54
Explorer C

Great question. I’m looking for the same answer.   My LUV voucher expires Oct 2022

bec102896
Aviator A

Ok so I just put it to the test 

I booked a WGA+ fare using a travel fund and LUV voucher then I canceled it at first the expiration date said date of the voucher overnight the travel fund changed to the December 31st 2040 date. 

so you can keep your LUV voucher transferable by booking a WGA+ fare and if you use it then cancel the flight that credit will be valid forever (until they change the system)