Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV Vouchers not being honored

TKNC
Explorer C

Southwest issued two LUV vouchers which has an expiration of 9?24/22.  I originally spoke with a representative on 9/15/22 and was (supposedly) granted extensions.  I was told that new vouchers would be emailed to me in 2-3 days.  Never received them.  Called back on 10/3/22 and was again granted the extensions, yet NO new vouchers arrived.  I called today and was told by the representative that no extensions are to be granted, effective October 1, 2022.  I've not seen this anywhere, including on the SWA website.  

Regardless, the reference number checks out, according to Dana, the rep I spoke with today, October 10th.  Dans sees that, in fact, extensions were granted but, as one might expect, I'm now told I have to talk with customer relations.  In my experience, customer relations does NOT respond to me.  

I can continue to chase my tail on this one, or forfeit $400 in credits, or go to small claims court.  I feel my best option is court.

Has anyone else been getting the run around and losing credits due to Southwest's unwillingness to honor its own word?

Of course, Southwest shows no discussion board appropriate to this type of issue....no big surprise there.  So, I'll post here and hope for the best.  Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: LUV Vouchers not being honored

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

What exactly would you be claiming in court? Southwest issued you a voucher with an expiration date and is under no obligation to extend the expiration. Bummer that they appear to be willing to extend, but it's not working. Your best bet is to put all requests in writing instead of calling. A phone agent does not have the resources or time to investigate an issue like this.

Perhaps next time you should just use the voucher before they expire. Easiest option would have been to use the voucher to purchase a flight, cancel the reservation, and then you have non-expiring travel credits to use whenever you want.

--TheMiddleSeat

TKNC
Explorer C

MiddleSeat, since you've taken the time to respond, I assume you read my post completely.  Therefore, you are aware that they've committed to the extensions twice.  Southwest has acknowledged this and still are claiming that, despite initiating the first extension in plenty of time, have not honored their word.  If you're fine with losing $400 to SWA, good for you.  I, for one, prefer to receive what's mine and not roll over to accept shady business practices.  For my business, I keep an attorney on retainer and he'll advise me if I'm off-base on my thought of pursuing this.  If I'm off the mark on this, so be it.  

By the way, until October 1, they were, in fact, under obligation to extend the vouchers.  Fortunately, they agree that I first contacted them and initiated the extension in time. 

Best of luck with your career at Southwest... 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Obligation to extend a voucher? How so?

You didn't appear to mention anything from Southwest being in writing and even then you'd have a hard sell to court so again, good luck with that court idea. 

Also again, if you had just booked and canceled you wouldn't have put yourself in this situation, but apparently that was too much effort compared to going to court.

I still don't understand why when people hear a message they don't like they automatically assume the one delivering that message works for Southwest. Is that supposed to be some "gotcha" or insult? Whatever it was supposed to be it failed as I do not work for Southwest. This is a customer to customer forum so you won't get a response from Southwest here. If you were just looking for people to feel sorry for you it's very unlikely that you will get that response based on the facts you provided.

--TheMiddleSeat

ALISTLUV
Explorer A

He would have damages.  SW entered into a verbal contract.  Then did not fulfill their promise.  

What a Black Eye look to promise people something and then have people down the channel in the SW pipeline to not honor it.  What a joke of a process.  Appears to be a theme and they take no accountability.  

This is exactly what happened to me OP.  Twice I had to call, waste my time to get the extension to actually stick.  I had a flight to use it on that their ball fumbling caused me to miss and I lost $ as a result.

They eventually gave me $200 in another LUV voucher.  Now I have to book a flight with that voucher that I never plan to take and convert it to a 'credit' that never expires.  

"If only you booked a flight with them that you never planned to take as of the expiration date, it would be converted".  

floridaguy
Aviator C

My voucher expired in July of 2022 and with a phone call, I was able to get it extended through the end of the year.  I used it in September of this year and all is well.

Southwest met its obligation and the voucher had an expiration date, per terms of use.  If you want to sue, go blue and get a tattoo, that's up to you.

The court will laugh at you and I would expect Southwest to counter-sue you for a frivolous lawsuit and collect all of their costs of defending such a suit.  

I suggest you do something as innovative as CALLING AND ASKING FOR AN EXTENSION of the LUV Voucher.

🙄

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy The OP did call and apparently Southwest did say they would extend it.  Problem is he never received the extended voucher and now they are no longer willing to extend.  It's unfortunate, but I don't see where much more can be done.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

My suggestion is to hire Perry Mason and he will put Paul Drake, Drake Detective Agency, on the case.

You will spend about $15,000 but you will certainly get your LUV Voucher.

😂

nmarietti
Explorer C

I had travel credits that were set to expire and I was told I’d be given 2 luv vouchers instead. Waited and waited and finally booked without receiving I just said oh well. Then they finally made flight credits so they don’t expire so I fought and fought for the vouchers. I messaged them on FB they gave me the run around for these vouchers for 4 months I recorded every call I made to customer care where they said I would 100% get them well I sent the recording in and they finally sent me my vouchers yesterday after 4 months of waiting. Point here is keep on them and save every correspondence with them 

ALISTLUV
Explorer A

Its complete B.S. that customers should have to stay on the company to fulfill their promise.  Just freaking do it without wasting everyone's precious time .. including their own.  I'm sure the CSR have better things to do than deal with stale promises they made.