Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Looks like I'm never flying SWA again

denno
Adventurer B

Floridaguy, you made an important point about preventing future catastrophes like this present one.  This IS a pertinent issue now because many people who have booked Southwest need to be assured that there will not be a "next time."  Unfortunately, Southwest had two nearly identical situations just last year in June and October, but failed to take remedial steps to prevent recurrences.  So here we are again.  Some good questions for management are: 1) what have AA, DL and UA done that have enabled them to persevere through some nasty weather while WN has had to nearly shut down their entire system?  2) Why have possibly 120  employees walked off the job in DEN in subzero weather when that did not occur at AA, DL and UA?  3) If these "meltdowns" last year were attributed to IT issues and subpar computer capabilities, why weren't preventative steps taken after these problems surfaced?  I have two roundtrips to PHX booked in February.  What level of confidence should I have about that?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Southwest is handling the situation in the here and now.  So, they are filling in the hole as you make mention.

I am talking about what can be done to PREVENT A HOLE in the future.

I have the right to make a contribution and it appears that many people "love" my perspective.

You sure ain't the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Fix the current problem NOW and then worry about the future when done 

Some of us here are really trying to help people: get refunds, cancel flights, rebook flights, contact customer service -- etc.

What are you doing, floridaguy, to actually help people?

jjacobs
Explorer C

Hello All:

I have read all of the posts and watched the news for the last few days about what some are saying about the recent flight delays and cancellations by SWA.  What prompted me to respond to this post was the subject, "Looks like I'm never flying SWA again."

I do not work for SWA nor am I a spokes person for them.  I am just a person that travels a lot on SWA for the last 20 years.  I am A-List Preferred, Companion Pass and several SWA Visa cards.  In all of those years I spent one overnight in Denver due to storms.

What you are seeing now is not the norm.  The major snowstorm caused cancellations across the mid-west and east coast.  Because SWA uses a system of short hauls rather than big hubs and long cross country flights this disrupted the system.  The media and many complaining about missing/delayed flights makes it seam like SWA is the only airline experiencing this problem and gives the impression they should do their operation like the other airlines.

Those who fly often avoid holidays especially when there is approaching bad weather.  Living in California when going back east I leave early and return early.  In the summer I fly with northern connections to avoid rain in Phoenix, and in the winter I connect with flights in the south to avoid winter snow. 

We all have short memories.  When all of the other airlines were filing for bankruptcy or could not make a profit especially during Covid, Congress stepped in and bankrolled them.  What made SWA a success during difficult times has been well studied in all business schools.  SWA makes money in the air not on the ground.  The planes on average stay on the ground with a 20 minutes turnaround.

I feel all of your frustration.  A few years ago I flew into a city without daily service to Chicago by SWA and had the opportunity to fly on another airline.   Imagine showing up to the airport and your flight was cancelled for no other reason that there were not enough passengers on the plane.  Another example is that you get to the airport an hour in advance to find the ticket counter is close because they are helping to load passengers on the plane and telling you your flight has been cancelled because they left the counter.  

Overall the years I have flown SWA my expectations have been exceeded in every way.  I am sure SWA will find a way to innovate and engineer a solution to the current problem.  I know it will not be one of what the other airlines are doing.  

SouthWORST
Adventurer C

Stop making excuses for this crap airline. It’s embarrassing. While all the other airlines have been up and running the Air Bus System of SouthWORST are still cancelling flights and leaving people and families stranded during the holidays. Our company removed SouthWORST as an option for booking travel because they are to unreliable. You trying to defend these clowns lack of customer service is DISGUSTING AND DISRESPECTFUL to customers who are being impacted. I thankfully have common sense to know better than to ever fly This Joke in the air. I flew United from Den to Lax Friday and back home Tuesday without an issue while seeing all the Southwest passengers stranded and standing in lines. SouthWORST should be taken over by the Government 

SouthWORST
Adventurer C

You claim someone else isn’t very bright yet you sit on here trying to defend southWORST. Why? Are you on their payroll? 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I am currently enjoying a great life in Florida after making a fortune in the financial side of healthcare and owning a car dealership for 20 years.

Yeah', I'm not the brightest bulb in the box.  I only have two Masters', what can you expect?

Dan_Korn
Explorer C

@floridaguy , the original post in this thread is from May 2021.  If they haven't fixed things in the last 19 months, what gives you confidence that they will be fixed in the next 19 months?

floridaguy
Aviator C

This is not about me, but about Southwest.  Please stay on point but thanks for the information about the age of the thread.

SouthWORST
Adventurer C

Unproductive you say? Customers are stranded and appalled at How Your company is not addressing these concerns. Instead of deleting posts that arent in FAVOR of blaming everyone and everything Southwest, shouldn’t you be on the phone or at airport HELPING the people that you destroyed their Holidays. Your company’s one, and only concern is saving face and blaming others and having no accountability it’s sickening.

SouthWORST
Adventurer C

Only a fool would fly SOUTHWORST. Literally a ghetto bus with wings. Trying to blame only weather on their latest disaster is an insult to customers who have finally learned their lesson about giving their money to these jokers. While all the other airlines have been back almost running normally since the storm these jokers and liars still are blaming a storm from 3 days ago. SouthWORST is a joke. STAY AWAY