Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Loss of Early Bird Fees when Cancellation due to Coronavirus

pdues
Explorer C

I had to cancel our upcoming flight and need to rebook it for November. SWA won't let me book this far out so I canceled and planned to book in a few weeks when November calendar was available. I received credit for my airfare but not the $100 paid for Early Bird checkin. This is a huge rip-off! Nothing on the screen told me that I would lose this but if I waited and actually changed the dates it would have transferred. Here we are in the midst of a pandemic and SW is providing little to no assistance with travel changes. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Loss of Early Bird Fees when Cancellation due to Coronavirus

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

I'd contact Southwest, either by mail or on Twitter.  I know those are two extreme differences in response times but I think those are the best options.  Click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any forum page for contact details.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bec102896
Aviator A

I would reach out to southwest though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint and maybe they can help. 

For others if you bought Early Bird and are willing to travel later I would not cancel your reservation but instead change it to a later date (you can change that date again later as well) this way you won't lose your EB that you paid for. If you cancel you won't get the EB check in a a travel fund so keep that in mind.

-Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This is not officially endorsed but if your flight was coming up soon (i.e. can’t wait to cancel) but the new flight was also off the end of the flight schedule, change to something the same price far out and wait for the new calendar.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Pen43pen43
Explorer C

I had the same issue. Spent $80 on early bird and they wont even credit me for my next flight. I was always a fan of southwest but after i use my flight credit i will not be coming back. I would prefer to spend extra money and book somewhere else  than give it to a company that treats its customers this way. Very disappointed.

rnrmckeeusaf
Explorer C

They get a bailout from the feds, and won't refund earlybird fees during this time of COVID-19.  Can't wait to take this to the media!!  Bad decision SWA!!