Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

MAX flight assignments

denno
Adventurer B

The "Book flights" screens do not yet reflect the presence of the 737 MAX aircraft, which, per Gary Kelly, will resume March 11th.  Does anyone know when they will start to appear so it will be known which flights will operate with MAX's?  It's only 5 weeks out.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: MAX flight assignments

gsking
Aviator C

I heard they will predominantly be on the longer routes like Hawaii.   Not sure if that helps,  or how long it'll last before they are phased in to a greater proportion of the flights. 

I look forward to it. 

denno
Adventurer B

Thanks gsking, that would surely seem logical and I think the return will be a good thing, but I'm hoping some voice for the company can tell us when the info will start to show on the website.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

MAX aircraft are on the schedule.

To see the type of aircraft a particular flight is scheduled to use, on the search results page just click on the flight number.

1.png2.png

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Some detailed info, including all initial routes, here.

dfwskier
Aviator A

It looks like all MAX flights are 6000 series flight numbers. So you don't even need to click on a flight number to see what type of plane will be on.  If it's 6000 series, it's a MAX.

denno
Adventurer B

Thanks Chgoflyer, for the info.  Yes, 6000 series flight numbers and 32 of those.  Based on one roundtrip per aircraft per day, it only requires 16 aircraft up per day and higher utilization could do it with as few as 10.  With 34 aircraft delivered pre-COVID and about 7 since, that's a lot of down time considering the much greater operating efficiencies of the MAX over the 737-700s and 737-800s, especially for Hawaii service.  Hopefully WN will boost that up soon and replace some of the older aircraft.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@denno wrote:

Thanks Chgoflyer, for the info.  Yes, 6000 series flight numbers and 32 of those.  Based on one roundtrip per aircraft per day, it only requires 16 aircraft up per day and higher utilization could do it with as few as 10.  With 34 aircraft delivered pre-COVID and about 7 since, that's a lot of down time considering the much greater operating efficiencies of the MAX over the 737-700s and 737-800s, especially for Hawaii service.  Hopefully WN will boost that up soon and replace some of the older aircraft.

I'm confident that there will be increases from the initial schedule, which is still being impacted by covid.

FYI: Southwest planes don't really fly "roundtrips" -- they fly point-to-point.

denno
Adventurer B

Thanks again, Chgoflyer.  I am aware of the "point-to-point" routings versus "round trips," but if you look at market pairs, they are nearly always alike in both directions in terms of number of flights per day and often, even per equipment types.

The main item I was looking at is the relatively slow implementation of the MAX in a time when every dollar counts and less efficient metal is in use.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@denno wrote:

Thanks again, Chgoflyer.  I am aware of the "point-to-point" routings versus "round trips," but if you look at market pairs, they are nearly always alike in both directions in terms of number of flights per day and often, even per equipment types.

The main item I was looking at is the relatively slow implementation of the MAX in a time when every dollar counts and less efficient metal is in use.

There is the issue that pilots require training before they are allow to fly a MAX. That includes simulator time and there is a shortage of simulators. I suspect the airline is flying as much new metal as the available pilot pool allows.