Southwest Airlines Community

MacArthur airport vs LaGuardia Airport

mpower1973
Explorer C

8 REPLIES 8

Re: MacArthur airport vs LaGuardia Airport

mpower1973
Explorer C

So I was wondering why Southwest airlines seems to make it difficult for people to travel out of Islip MacArthur Airport. When Southwest first came to MacArthur Airport they did a lot for the airport including building a terminal with a decent amount of destinations either direct flights or flights with maybe one stop. Several years later when Southwest got into LaGuardia Airport it seemed that MacArthur was turning into a forgotten airport for them. I don’t understand how Southwest airlines charges $3851.84 for four people to travel from MacArthur Airport to Houston hobby airport with a stop at Baltimore where you need to change planes. I always thought if you had to change planes your fair would be cheaper than a direct flight. I seem to be wrong with that because to go from LaGuardia To Houston hobby airport for four passengers is only $1771.88.  I just don’t understand how the price difference can be that great. It really seems like Southwest is trying to pull out of my car at the airport because when you charge triple the amount out of Islip you make it difficult to use that airport.  MacArthur airport is an airport for a long islanders it’s convenient it requires less travel time to the airport for thousands of people but all those people are being forced to abandon their hometown airport. It’s such a shame that Southwest used to be the airline for a smaller airports but I guess that’s gone.   

dfwskier
Aviator A

t's all about competition and supply and demand.

Prices rise or fall to levels by what passengers will pay.

If people don't pay whatever the airline charges, then the price falls

jksobonya
Aviator A

Easy answer. Islip is a tiny airport. Very tiny, in fact. 

La Guardia, especially combined with JFK and maybe Newark (NJ), makes up some of the largest, busiest airports in the entire country.

There is no comparison. Apples and broccoli.

--Jessica

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

@jksobonya wrote:

La Guardia, especially combined with JFK and maybe Newark (NJ), makes up some of the largest, busiest airports in the entire country.

--Jessica

Wanted to put it out there - do you think that Newark (EWR) is on Southwest's list of destinations in the future? Without it, they have no destinations serving New Jersey (other than LGA which can be a headache to get to from the Garden State).

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

I think long island better. Less lines. Same runway safeway.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@FlyWithLUV wrote:

@jksobonya wrote:

--Jessica

Wanted to put it out there - do you think that Newark (EWR) is on Southwest's list of destinations in the future? Without it, they have no destinations serving New Jersey (other than LGA which can be a headache to get to from the Garden State).

Southwest was in EWR but pulled operations there a few years ago - I believe 2019. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@FlyWithLUV wrote:

@jksobonya wrote:

--Jessica

You could always tell SW that you'd like to see the service restored by clicking on "contact us" below..

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

As others have noted it's about filling planes and profitability, SWA wasn't really ever about "small airports." They were always trying to get "gate" space which was easier in some cases at smaller airports. I mean wasn't the whole AirTran purchase about getting gate space at Atlanta?

All that being said Islip looks pretty attractive for flying direct to FL, there are direct flights to 4 locales in FL, Tampa, FLL, MCO, and PBI. That's pretty impressive for a small airport in the Northeast. Direct or Cheap flights from Long Island to Houston? Well that just doesn't probably make a lot of Dollars and "Cents" for Southwest.

On a side note I had to travel to Houston this week and the fares were high from BWI, ( Spring break I guess)

Best of luck to you in your travels.