Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Minor tickets refunds for adult rewards purchaser

krgrier
Explorer C

I booked and paid for one-way tickets for my 2 minor granddaughters and the price decreased, so I re-booked at the lower fare.  The difference was a savings of $36.00 for each ticket.  Since I'm a SWA rewards member, I should be able to get the refunded amount added to my account.  These girls won't be traveling anytime soon, so that $72.00 will be forfeited back to SWA.  I appealed to customer service but they are refusing to give the credit to me.
Shame on you SWA.  This is BAD business.  I'm not going away silent! 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Minor tickets refunds for adult rewards purchaser

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

The policy is that funds remain with the ticketed passenger no matter there age. 

For the other airlines this works the same way when a credit is issued because you cancel (most other airlines don't allow you to get a credit if the price goes down)

Your welcome to share your feedback with southwest directly though by Contacting Customer Relations however this has been a policy for some time now. 

-Blake

krgrier
Explorer C

I did contact Customer Relations, but to no avail. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest's policy is that any Travel Funds created belong to the ticketed passenger. 

SW doesn't hide this. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

The only exception I am aware of is death of the passenger - who would never be able to use the TF.

krgrier
Explorer C

Thanks for your reply.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Two points:

$36 is sometimes enough to buy a one-way ticket on Southwest so you may not want to say the kids won’t ever fly again.

Secondly, since you were perfectly willing to pay the more expensive price that you originally purchased the tickets at, IF the credit does go to waste you’re not any worse off than when you started.  I’d like to see you call any other airline and ask for any sort of credit if their ticket price dropped, they’d just laugh at you.

Edit... I’ll add a bonus third point for you.... Sign the kids up for their own Rapid Rewards accounts.  It’s never too early to start earning points, especially now since points no longer expire.

--TheMiddleSeat

krgrier
Explorer C

I didn't say the kids would never fly again.  They won't be flying again before the funds expire.

Explorer B

I agree!

all over $76 dollars! They SW refused to extend my one year expiration date by 30 days over two $45 ticket. Bad business. You and I are frequent fliers. We’re not criminals but we are treated like criminals. We are the airlines frequent fliers. I booked flights and other airlines yesterday and going forward .

The 10,000 I spent a tear on airfare is going towards other airlines going forward.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@161069484 This website exposes us to a constant barrage of entitlement, but this is an entirely new level. Southwest's policy is very generous. However, getting full advantage of this generosity isn't convenient for you so you are angry that Southwest won't change the rules for you. It's kind of shocking when you think about it.

Explorer B

The policy is very nice, I choose lower fares and better flight times.