Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Misleading informaton about Promotional offer for Conpanion Pass

kanikabat
Explorer C

I registered and purchased a ticket in September for a promotional offer. Here are the conditions as listed in the offer:

If you are registered and purchased a round trip or two one-way flights by 9/8/2022, for travel by 11/17/2022, you’re on your way to promotional Companion Pass good from 1/4/2023 – 3/4/2023.

I purchased my tickets by 9/8/2022

I flew a roundrtip from Lubbock to Minneapolis from 11/9/2022 to 11/11/2022

Two agents I spoke to said the link for making the companion fare booking will be sent within 10 days of completing the travel, this would be 11/21/2022.

The third agent said the link would only be sent my 01/4/2023.

This means I can't make my booking till January.

Not only is this misinformation on the part of the agents it means that southwest wants me to pay higher fares by booking in January. This is completely unacceptable.

Had I known this, I would have chosen another airlines for my Minneapolis trip.

Either provide correct information to your customer service representatives or stop issuing promotional offers which mislead customers.

And please send me the link to the companion fare today as mentioned by your agents. Anything else indicates Southwest is misleading and misinforming customers.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Misleading informaton about Promotional offer for Conpanion Pass

jksobonya
Aviator A

I could be wrong, but this isn't misinformation - you are misunderstanding how Companion Pass works. 

Normally as soon as you fly 100 flights or get 125,000 points in a calendar year, you achieve Companion Pass status which is good for the rest of the year as well as the following year. You can use it immediately as soon as you reach the status.

With promotions like these, your Companion Pass starts and ends within a few months. You can't use Companion Pass until you have it - which is January 4 in this case.

With promotions like these, has Southwest ever allowed users to book a Companion Pass flight before the Companion Pass start date? I've never had used a CP promo like this, but I thought the answer was no. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

With promotions like these, has Southwest ever allowed users to book a Companion Pass flight before the Companion Pass start date? I've never had used a CP promo like this, but I thought the answer was no. 

--Jessica

Jessica answer is no.

kanikabat
Explorer C

Jessica, this was a different promotional offer than the one you mention. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I also think you are totally misunderstanding, but from a different perspective.  There is nothing stopping you from booking the paid flight for the companion pass holder now, then you add the companion as soon as you get the pass.  You do not need to have the pass before booking your flight so your complaint about having to wait and paying higher fares is 100% inaccurate.  Book now, add companion later.

--TheMiddleSeat

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/companionpasspromo.html

This website also lists the FAQ's for this promotion.  It states "after the promotional companion pass has been awarded to your account (January 4, 2023), you can designate your initial companion within My Account on southwest.com... "

jksobonya
Aviator A

@PDFelter wrote:

This website also lists the FAQ's for this promotion.  It states "after the promotional companion pass has been awarded to your account (January 4, 2023), you can designate your initial companion within My Account on southwest.com... "

Good find! That answers the question: "If I book a reservation prior to January 4, 2023 for travel between January 4 and March 4, 2023, when can I book my Companion’s reservation?"

You can book your flight now and add your Companion on January 4. The only "risk" I suppose is that the flight could sell out; in that case, you could purchase a flight for the companion and cancel it when Jan 4 comes around so there will be guaranteed spot. 

--Jessica

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

@PDFelter wrote:

Good find! That answers the question: "If I book a reservation prior to January 4, 2023 for travel between January 4 and March 4, 2023, when can I book my Companion’s reservation?"

You can book your flight now and add your Companion on January 4. The only "risk" I suppose is that the flight could sell out; in that case, you could purchase a flight for the companion and cancel it when Jan 4 comes around so there will be guaranteed spot. 

--Jessica

If that's a fear, book the flight with points - then when canceled you get the points back as opposed to travel credit.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Hmm... there's a big difference between misleading and misunderstanding.

Safe Travels

kanikabat
Explorer C

Absolutely, read my message, I clearly state that SW agents provided mr misleading information.