Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mixing travel funds and credit card

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

If I'm using travel funds to buy a ticket (funds exceed fare), is there a way to use a credit card to pay for some of the fare? Chase Sapphire Reserve has really good travel protections, but at least some of the ticket needs to be bought with the card.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Mixing travel funds and credit card

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I don’t think you can set a value.

Can you use part of the travel fund on a different trip to level it out, apply the remainder of the travel fund to the trip you actually want, pay the balance with credit card, then later cancel the other trip back to a travel fund.

Or similarly arrange for a smaller portion of travel fund to be created?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm not sure if this will work, but might be worth a try.  Book a cheap trip, something less expensive than the trip you really want, using the travel fund you have, then cancel it.  That should generate a new confirmation number and a new travel fund (would retain the same expiration date) and then you could apply that new, smaller travel fund to the trip you really want.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

I'm not sure if this will work, but might be worth a try.  Book a cheap trip, something less expensive than the trip you really want, using the travel fund you have, then cancel it.  That should generate a new confirmation number and a new travel fund (would retain the same expiration date) and then you could apply that new, smaller travel fund to the trip you really want.

--TheMiddleSeat

That would work.

jksobonya
Aviator A

No, if your travel fund is $250 and your flight is $200, there's no way to only use $150 of your travel fund and put $50 on a credit card, for example. All of your travel funds will be used up to the travel fund amount. You could always go up to an Anytime or Business Select fare, which costs more, if you wanted to use up your travel fund and pay for the rest with a CC. Or pick a more expensive WGA flight at a different time, etc. 

--Jessica