Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Multiple rebooks to keep Early Bird - keep original $$ value?

Jax2020
Explorer B

I have tickets and paid Early Bird fees for travel next week, but now plan to take this trip a year from now. This will require 2 or more flight changes because reservations only go into October right now. If I change my $300 flights to (for example) $200 flights in October, can I then change the Oct flights to $300 flights in April 2021? Does the original ticket value follow, regardless of how many times I have to kick this can down the road?  I’d prefer to keep changing rather than just cancel and bank $ because I want to keep my EB bucks. Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Multiple rebooks to keep Early Bird - keep original $$ value?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yes you can do what you want to do.

When you change your $300 flight into a future $200 flight you will receive  $100 travel fund.

Do that by the end of May and that travel fund is good thru 6/30/21.

You can then change the $200 ticket back into a $300 ticket by simply using the travel fund that was created when you performed the first change.

SWDigits
Aviator A

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I would much rather do the plan laid out by OP than cancel and call in for a refund. If you are going to want EBCI on the rescheduled flight, just change the flight and keep EBCI, even if it requires 2 changes. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Jax2020
Explorer B

Thank you, all!  I planned to just change flights as recommended, but SWA just canceled the outgoing flight. May just cancel and take the full refund (incl. EBCI) but first waiting to see what happens with return flight. Thanks again!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Jax2020 did you book as a round-trip on one reservation number?

Customer | Home airport DCA

Jax2020
Explorer B

I booked as round trip - does that mean that I can get a full refund based on just the one flight being canceled right now?

Jax2020
Explorer B

Sorry - yes, booked as round-trip on single reservation number.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Jax2020 wrote:

I booked as round trip - does that mean that I can get a full refund based on just the one flight being canceled right now?

@Jax2020 perfect.  I recommend using Twitter or Facebook to send a private message to Southwest to request a full refund for your entire reservation.  Insist on a refund as they cancelled the flight, even if they offer other options.  Another option is to call Customer Relations (not normal customer service) but I prefer to have a record of something in writing.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Jax2020
Explorer B

Will do - thank you so much, I appreciate your advice!