Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

My Money back

Pandelis
Explorer B

Coronavirus is something nobody wanted! but it's here. People losing their lives. how dare you sticking to your rules and legal mumbo jumbo. You are forcing me and my wife to take another trip even though we are 64 years old with Heart condition, Diabetes and very sensitive to even get out of the house. Just because you touched my money that does not make it your money, i worked hard for that money you have no right to keep it. you did not provide any service to me and my wife.This is not Rusia This AMERICA!! Have Some Pride. We Want our money back.

33 REPLIES 33

Re: My Money back

dfwskier
Aviator A

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. You bought  a NONREFUNDABLE ticket, and therefore accepted the terms for that ticket - one of which is NO REFUND.

That is no different than every other airline in America.

Upon cancellation, your ticket will turn into a travel fund good thru 9/7/22. Only the ticketed passenger may use his/her travel fund. 

Southwest ha announced that it will allow people with travel funds to turn those into Rapid Rewards points. You can use your points to then buy tickets for anyone you choose.

THAT IS MORE GENEROUS THAN EVERY OTHER AIRLINE IN AMERICA. Southwest has yet to announce the mechanism to do this.

jksobonya
Aviator A

No one is forcing you to travel. Travel funds for canceled flights are good for a full 2 years until 2022 - you have plenty of time to use them and don't have to travel now. 

--Jessica

Pandelis
Explorer B

Let me Ask you JACK. What Happens if  i don't wanna travel for the next 5 years. do i lose my money all together or will southwest will give back my money with interest. because they do make money on my money. Some people so it happens for different reasons takes them years to get on an airplane and some never do. i did not give southwest permission to keep my money for me. That's what banks are for. This about RIGHT or WRONG . SOUTHWEST IS WRONG PERIOD. That was a trip we were gonna take, after long and hard savings. i did not cancel that trip because of some reason other than the stupid coronavirus and in case you don't care (i believe you don't care) let me remind you Thousands of People lost their lives. That money you want to keep should be back to the rightful owner and that is me.

SOUTHWEST DID NOTHING!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR ME!!   

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Pandelis wrote:

Let me Ask you JACK. What Happens if  i don't wanna travel for the next 5 years. do i lose my money all together or will southwest will give back my money with interest. because they do make money on my money. Some people so it happens for different reasons takes them years to get on an airplane and some never do. i did not give southwest permission to keep my money for me. That's what banks are for. This about RIGHT or WRONG . SOUTHWEST IS WRONG PERIOD. That was a trip we were gonna take, after long and hard savings. i did not cancel that trip because of some reason other than the stupid coronavirus and in case you don't care (i believe you don't care) let me remind you Thousands of People lost their lives. That money you want to keep should be back to the rightful owner and that is me.

Yes, Southwest does something for everybody - including you.

It gives you the opportunity to buy a "cheap ticket"  In return for getting a cheap ticket, you agree to take the risk that you won't use the ticket (and therefore  let the airline keep your cash) for reasons  other than the airline screwing up. It's all covered in the Contract of Carriage -which you agreed to when you bought your ticket. It's this way with every airline in America.

Given the above, no, you will not get a refund if you don't travel for the next 5 years.

Southwest says it will allow people to convert travel funds into Rapid Rewards points. The mechanism to do so has not yet been announced. That change would allow you to purchase tickets for anyone - anyone. That is far better than every other airline   in the  country - who will keep your money and force you to travel in order to use your money.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

The option to convert Travel Funds to Rapid Reward points is now live in the My Account section of SW's site:

convert.JPG

-A List, Companion Pass holder

bec102896
Aviator A

@Pandelis wrote:

I'd take over 2 years to use funds (that southwest is giving) over the 90 days Frontier is giving customers. Think about that for a second lets say you had a flight for late March on Frontier you cancel because of the virus and you now have no funds to book a flight because they expired already. 

They did nothing for you? Normally you have a year from when you bought your ticket to use your funds and travel but they have given you until September 2022 that's very generous. Soon you can exchange your funds for points that don't expire and those points can be used to book a flight for anyone I don't know of any other airline allowing that. 

I'm sorry you feel that Southwest has done nothing for you if you would like to discuss your experience with southwest directly you can Contact Customer Relations  

Pandelis
Explorer B

Ok JACK. First of all i don't think you work for Southwest. It seems that you have given them a bunch of money flying around the country, that they let you answer peoples complains. You and other comedians.You said nothing to me.You don't stay with the conversation. I don't Care what other airlines do. i Did Business or tryed to do with Southwest. The trip was canceled because of the pandemic and i don't think i was the only one canceling a trip.Southwest and other airlines are in business to make money, i understand that. But some times in order for the business to thrive they have to look in the mirror and do the right think. your one sided contract with the customer (You Break it You Buy it.) Jack I did not Break Anything. i Work hard and long for that money And after 40 years of marriage and no vacations we decided to do so. But Southwest has other plans for my money. Previously you or some other clowns suggested that <<no one is forcing me to do anything>>.Yes they do since they are keeping my money. they want me to decide. Take another trip, or Let somebody else take a trip with my money. I'm not a Travel agent and i don't wanna take another trip. I want my MONEY BACK. It Is My Right. I did not Sign

anywhere that i will loose my money in case of a Pandemic. Southwest is Like any other airline.    

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Pandelis wrote:

I did not Sign

anywhere that i will loose my money in case of a Pandemic. Southwest is Like any other airline.    

But the second you bought your ticket you DID agree to Southwest's terms as specified in it's Contract of Carriage.  It states:

"(3) Nonrefundable Tickets.
(i) General. The fare paid for unused travel by Passengers who purchase restricted,
nonrefundable Tickets are not eligible for refunds, except as provided in this
Section and Section 9b. Taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges
associated with a nonrefundable fare are also not eligible for refund except as
required by applicable regulations.
(ii) Travel Credit. Unless otherwise stated by Carrier, the fare paid for unused
nonrefundable Tickets, including taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility
Charges, may be applied toward the purchase of future travel on Carrier for the
originally ticketed Passenger only. The new Ticket may be more or less expensive
or subject to different terms, conditions, or restrictions from the original Ticket. If
the fare is lower, travel credit will be issued for the difference. No cash refund or
credit card adjustments will be made for nonrefundable Tickets.
(iii) Travel Credit Eligibility. The expiration date of any travel credit will apply to any
Tickets purchased with these funds. If a Ticket is purchased with multiple travel
credits, the earliest expiration date will apply to the entire Ticket.
(iv) Travel Credit Forfeiture. Should a Passenger fail to apply the nonrefundable Ticket
or travel credit toward the purchase of future travel within the eligibility period, the
entire amount of the fare, including all taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility
Charges, will be forfeited."

That basically means that unless the airline cancels your flight, the airline keeps your money and you get a travel credit.

It makes no difference why you cancel (pestilence, disease, earthquake, tornado, snowstorm),

if you cancel, you do not get a refund. You get a travel credit.

I'm sorry you are unhappy about that, but that is what you agreed to.

BTW, how did you know my name is Jack?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@Pandelis wrote:

I did not Sign

But the second you bought your ticket you DID agree to Southwest's terms as specified in it's Contract of Carriage.  It states:

"(3) Nonrefundable Tickets.
(i) General. The fare paid for unused travel by Passengers who purchase restricted,
nonrefundable Tickets are not eligible for refunds, except as provided in this
Section and Section 9b. Taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges
associated with a nonrefundable fare are also not eligible for refund except as
required by applicable regulations.
(ii) Travel Credit. Unless otherwise stated by Carrier, the fare paid for unused
nonrefundable Tickets, including taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility
Charges, may be applied toward the purchase of future travel on Carrier for the
originally ticketed Passenger only. The new Ticket may be more or less expensive
or subject to different terms, conditions, or restrictions from the original Ticket. If
the fare is lower, travel credit will be issued for the difference. No cash refund or
credit card adjustments will be made for nonrefundable Tickets.
(iii) Travel Credit Eligibility. The expiration date of any travel credit will apply to any
Tickets purchased with these funds. If a Ticket is purchased with multiple travel
credits, the earliest expiration date will apply to the entire Ticket.
(iv) Travel Credit Forfeiture. Should a Passenger fail to apply the nonrefundable Ticket
or travel credit toward the purchase of future travel within the eligibility period, the
entire amount of the fare, including all taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility
Charges, will be forfeited."

That basically means that unless the airline cancels your flight, the airline keeps your money and you get a travel credit.

It makes no difference why you cancel (pestilence, disease, earthquake, tornado, snowstorm),

if you cancel, you do not get a refund. You get a travel credit.

I'm sorry you are unhappy about that, but that is what you agreed to.

BTW, how did you know my name is Jack?

What?

Anyway - the travel funds if they expire may also be able to convert to LUV for a fee, but that's two years down the road now with the travel fund extension so maybe check out the travel funds to points option when it is available soon.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.